Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 18 Year Old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan 18 Year Old

Postby chronix » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:54 pm

I have a bottle of Macallan Sherry Oak 18 Year Old with presentation box and wondered whether the value of it increases the longer it is kept?
chronix

Re: Macallan 18 Year Old

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 am

Possibly. Past vintages have done so--The Whisky Exchange, for example, has a 1966-vintage 18yo for sale for £650.00. But you know what the brokers say--past performance is no guarantee of future returns. It's only worth something if someone is willing to pay for it, and the fact is that there are more and more bottles being salted away by more and more collectors, in anticipation of increasing value. The result, in theory, is much slower growth in value, or none at all for many, many years. In the event of extreme political, economic, or social turmoil, your bottle may be worth zippo. But at least you can drink it before a roving band of cannibals overruns your home and has you for dinner.

In my opinion, the experience of drinking it has value that can never be taken away from you.
Deactivated Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:58 am

Yes.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 am

The problem with trying to save a bottle of the Mac 18 Sherry is that it tastes too good. The only thing that would keep me from drinking it everyday is the price tag. :P
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby AZmalt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 am

Yes but at some point it becomes more collectable than sought after for consumption. The whisky level will slowly go down and the cork may likely start to break apart.

Just drink it. These aren't baseball cards.
AZmalt

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder