Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caol Ila 12 yo: oily?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Caol Ila 12 yo: oily?

Postby bbrownri » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 pm

So, I'm continuing my tour of the Islays. I'm a fan of the peaty, spicy complexity of Ardbeg and the maritime and medicinal aspects of Laphroaig. What I'm looking for now is an oily, smoky kind of peat. I get a certain dose of that in the Lagavulin 16, which I also enjoy, but I'm looking to branch out more. I get the impression that the Caol Ila 12 might be what I'm looking for.

Right, so here's my question: would you describe the Caol Ila as oily (in a good way, of course)? A strange question perhaps, but inquiring minds want to know.
bbrownri

Re: Caol Ila 12 yo: oily?

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:00 pm

I've owned an OB 12, 18, and an outstanding SMWS single cask. I found no oil slicks in any of them. But they were all very good in their own way.

The way Jim Murray talks about "Caol Ila oil" you'd think they were bottled by Texaco...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 am

I'd say CI can have an oily texture relative to most other malts but it is variable. As Reggaeblues wrote you will expect far too much oil if you go by JM's description.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 am

Would you say Laphroaig 10 is oily? To me it seems that way. The quarter cask is more creamy to me.
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

I would fondly liken Caol Ila's oiliness to that of a fine light olive oil.
Bon appetit! :P :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am

Just don't pour it on your salad, or attempt to fry onions with it...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Just don't pour it on your salad, or attempt to fry onions with it...

Mmmm, smoky-peaty onions sounds great! Have you actually tried it Regga?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 am

Wave wrote:I would fondly liken Caol Ila's oiliness to that of a fine light olive oil.

I definitely notice a scent of olives on the nose of the Caol Ila 12YO. Texturally, the whisky does open in a smooth fashion, though I'm not 100% sure I'd describe this roundness as 'oily'. And this quality is quickly joined by elements of brine and oak that balance the palate presentation out nicely.

Whatever one might get out of the glass, though, the Caol Ila 12YO is absolutely worth having within reach!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 pm

borgom wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:Just don't pour it on your salad, or attempt to fry onions with it...

Mmmm, smoky-peaty onions sounds great! Have you actually tried it Regga?

Well, now you mention it, I'm tempted!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:55 am

The Caol Ila oiliness is more defined in cask strength and Signatory UCF's than the 12 or 18yo OB's. As good as their OB's are now they still scream to be unchillfiltered!

A Caol Ila Providence bottling I had a couple of years ago tasted like a BBQ smokehouse, I think with fried onions it would be perfect! :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:34 am

I find the Caol Ila to be oily but in a good way. It coats the tongue and keeps the finish going on and on. Though I do agree with Wave that the CS versions are signifcantly more oily (and enjoyable).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Minnesota Malt wrote:Would you say Laphroaig 10 is oily? To me it seems that way. The quarter cask is more creamy to me.

Laph 10's never really seemed oily to me. Corn whisky is probably the oiliest i've had.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby bbrownri » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely pick up a bottle next time I'm at the store!
bbrownri

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 am

Hope you like it bbrown and please let us know what you think !
For me it's one of the most underrated single malts out there and I've been waxing abouty its qualities relentlessly ever since I tried it the first time some years ago. Quoting myself here but:
I happen to love Caol Ila 12; a lovely oiliness reminding me of a peppery virgin olive oil, a little citrusy character and a fish-like smokiness which goes perfect with smoked cod. I think this must be one of the most under appreciated whiskies - especially among the ones from Islay.

Yes it's oily! In fact I've never had a whisky with such an oiliness, and I believe it's one of Caol Ila's unique qualities. I do find the 12's oiliness more pronounced than the CS though, and I also prefer the 12 to the CS.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:...I also prefer the 12 to the CS.

But don't neglect the Cask Strength if you ever do have a chance to try it. For me (just shows how each of our tastes differ), it has the edge over the 12 Year Old.

As I've described the Cask Strength, "That initial textural lightness hides a real switchblade of a whisky." In this sense (in comparison to the CI 12 Year Old), its style somewhat parallels that of the Lagavulin 12YO CS (as that particular whisky relates to its standard strength 16YO sibling).

Also, I find that a ½-and-½ pour of the Caol Ila 12YO and CS makes for a smashing dram!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder