Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Ord and Talisker..close kin?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Glen Ord

Glen Ord and Talisker..close kin?

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I happen to have a bottle of Talisker 10 and a 1998 Signatory Glen Ord right now (plus the Uigeadail..it was a good birthday!). The first few times I had the Glen Ord I kept thinking that the nose and inital taste reminded me of Talisker 10. One evening I even did a side by side and lo and behold it's true...there is definitely a kinship. Of course the Talisker then goes on to smoke, peat, and lots of pepper, while the Glen Ord stays on fruit, cream and only a hint of smoke. I have since discovered why the similarity. Glen Ord Maltings provides the maltings to Talisker as well as several other distilleries! Cool!
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Glen Ord and Talisker..close kin?

Postby Iain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I've only tried the Singleton of Glen Ord recently, and I must say it was most un-like Talisker! Aggressive, spirity nose with lots of diesel fumes, and a pretty rough, vegetal and slightly rancid taste (imho of course). It reminded me of Drumguish in some ways! Did I get a bad bottle?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:49 pm

I haven't had Singleton of Glen Ord..which I understand is the way the OB from Glen Ord are released now. Maybe the 1998 Signatory Glen Ord is an aberration. I do know the older Glen Ords have had good reviews. The one I have is Cask # 3441..Cask # 3447 from Signatory (Cask Strength) was reviewed by Whiskyfun (Serge) and he really liked it:

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivemay08-2.html#220508

It's not that I think they are similar overall, but at least with the Glen Ord I have there is a definite kinship.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Found this on the web..this is the one I have:

https://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=166191!2142
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Iain wrote:I've only tried the Singleton of Glen Ord recently, and I must say it was most un-like Talisker! Aggressive, spirity nose with lots of diesel fumes, and a pretty rough, vegetal and slightly rancid taste (imho of course). It reminded me of Drumguish in some ways! Did I get a bad bottle?

Don't know if it's a bad bottle but my OB Glen Ord 12 is nothing like that! Seems like Glen Ord might be extremely variable.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Which Glen Ord is it that you have Borgom, because the old square decanter bottle was much nicer than the new Singleton. I do think you may have had a dodgy bottle though Ian. I wouldn't have said it was that bad.

As to a kinship with Talisker, I would say that it must be a peculiarity of the single cask bottling that t10 has, because I've never noticed any similarity at all between the two.

Wish I could get hold of that bottle. :)
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

I realize how odd and strange my observation seems, but I went back and nosed the two again just to triple check..and once again the Glen Ord reminds me of the Talisker. The creamy, slightly fruity part of Talisker 10 (this is a 2008 bottling of T10).
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Which Glen Ord is it that you have Borgom

Square decanter style, 43% ABV, 75cl, L6278DS000 01445198 - it's an ok whisky but not fab.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:15 pm

One big difference with mine is that it is from a single cask, 1998 # 3441. Maybe a fluke of that one casks. Signatory did at least 2 other bottlings from the 1998 3000 series casks..they may be a lot different.
talisker10
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Glen Ord

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder