Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Liquor cabinet discoveries

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Liquor cabinet discoveries

Postby medway389 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:27 am

Hello All,

I am new to the world of whisky (trying to learn as much as possible) and have a few questions about some whisky discovered in my parents liquor cabinet as they prepare to move. Please forgive these questions should they be too rudimentary or outlandish.

1.Amongst the discoveries was a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 year old that was purchased in 1976. Is this whisky suitable to drink? The bottle is unopened but given its contents are now 45 years old, is it still "good"?

2.Another discovery was the unopened bottle of Jameson's Crested Ten, age / purchase date unknown. I'm not familiar with "Crested Ten". If this whisky was purchased within the past 10-15 years (a vague assumption) is it still consumable?

3.Similar to the Crested Ten, there was an unopened bottle of Crown Royal, date of purchase also unknown. Will the Crown Royal go "bad"?

If any of the whisky's mentioned above at good to drink, is there shelf life that I should be aware of? Will they go "bad" in the future?

Thanks to all, I appreciate your insight & feedback.
medway389

Re: Liquor cabinet discoveries

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:57 pm

ALL THE WHISKIES YOU DISCOVERED ARE EXPIRED!

Drinking any one of them could seriously harm you, perhaps even cause DEATH.

You must send them all immediately to me for proper disposal.

:dead:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:16 pm

So long as they've maintained a good seal they're perfectly fit to drink. If the bottles still look full (no significant evaporation), you're probably fine. If any of those bottles have a cork, you may experience some unpleasantness depending on its condition.

You won't really know what you've got until you taste them. Reasonably alcoholic spirits don't "go off" in a way that's going to make you ill. If they're no good, they'll likely just taste stale or old. Maybe with a bit of "basement" in the finish.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm

All should be fine to drink .... once open still should be okay for many years but they are at their best in the first year of being opening ...

People mhave suggested that really old bottle whiskies do change but it has been suggested as a brandy-ifing effect which bascially means that the whiskey comes across a bit sweeter and smoother (or duller) but this effect has not been confirmed on such bottles.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder