Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Rise of the Strathisla?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Rise of the Strathisla?

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:07 pm

On Christmas day, after having beaten into the ground by doing the dishes for 20 people's Christmas dinner I poured myself a well earned large dram of the Strathisla 12 in a large snifter. I was amazed at the quality of this whisky becuase when I had last tried if via the OB (the one with the square bottle, paper label and picture of the distillery) I was not impressed and I just passed it off as "just another Speyside". What a difference some time can make! Mother of pearl, this was a very well crafted single malt with loads of flavour, sweetness and a great mouthfeel. I'm curious if anybody else has noticed a difference or an improvemnet in the Strathisla because with so many comments about the decline of the 10/12 year olds it's nice to see one improving.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:12 am

I'm not sure whether the Strathisla 12yo has actually improved of late, but I think it's always been a great malt and tremendously under-appreciated. It's long been a rung or two above "just another speysider".

Your descriptors are very apt - loads of flavour, sweetness, great mouthfeel. I believe you can certainly taste it in Chivas Regal (which is a dreadful blend, and I'm sure the Strathisla in it is the only thing that rescues it and makes it remotely drinkable).

Given that Strathisla's ownership changed hands recently, it will be interesting to see if there are any developments or changes in the years to come.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:55 pm

In Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible, 2004 he writes in part " an infinitely better dram than a few years back that was a bit oily and shapeless. Today the heavily weighted, full bodied malt engages the taste buds from first to last with a complexity and richness of genuine class" and he rates it as an 87.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: The Rise of the Strathisla?

Postby scotchguy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:03 am

The 12 year old is good. But it is nothing like some of the older bottlings which have come from bottlers like Gordon & MacPhail. The Gordon & MacPhail 40 year old was amazingly complex, and some of their younger bottlings have also been noteworthy! I also fondly recall a 36 year old bottling from Coopers Choice. That was one hell of a dram.
scotchguy

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 am

I originally wrote off Strathisla based on what I had 10 years ago (or more). However, I had some opportunities to try older expressions from Duncan Taylor and a few other independent bottlers. Boy this whisky ages well. I think I need to retry the youngster again.
Last edited by Ganga on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:21 am

It's still good and good for you for dreding up this thread once again.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Xxandr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:40 am

I agree that Strathisla is often underrated. But I think the quality of 12 OBs is unstable. I had very good and not very pleasant ones.
The 25 G&M was brilliant.
Now I have 1987/2006 G&M unopened. I hope it will be good.
Xxandr

Postby scotchwillie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm

I quite enjoyed the 17yo (I think?), also from G&M. My girlfriend loved one of the older ones (don't remember which) she snuck from her dad's cabinet. ;)

-Will
scotchwillie

Postby corbuso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 pm

The 12 YO is not that Bad, but Strathisla is a whisky that I have always enjoyed very much, in particular the 1964 Strahisla of G&M, as well as the sherried Strahisla from the 1960s-70s, which are comparable to the longmorns of that period.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Just a note that it does age well. It can take on 30+ years better than a lot of other beverages. And does not ramp up the price like the others as well....

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Tried the 1967 Strath and must say I liked it... a bit woody but still good flavour profiles in it. I was not in the best sityation to appreciate it but it impressed all the same so it probably was better than even that .
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ryguy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:29 pm

mikeymad wrote:Just a note that it does age well. It can take on 30+ years better than a lot of other beverages. And does not ramp up the price like the others as well....

Cheers,

I tried a sample of Gordon & MacPhail Strathisla 44yo at a tasting last week. I also had a chance to meet Michael Urquhart so it was quite interesting. It was good, in my opinion, but not outstanding. But at the price of $300 I suppose it's a good buy for someone who enjoys stuff from this distillery anyway. It was the first taste of any expression from Strathisla for me, so I can't compare it to any of the younger OB's.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:28 am

scotchguy wrote:The 12 year old is good. But it is nothing like some of the older bottlings which have come from bottlers like Gordon & MacPhail. The Gordon & MacPhail 40 year old was amazingly complex, and some of their younger bottlings have also been noteworthy! I also fondly recall a 36 year old bottling from Coopers Choice. That was one hell of a dram.

Actually this thread is about the 12yo Strathisla, not bl**dy 30 and 40 year olds. Of course the 12 is nothing like the older bottlings but that's not the point now, is it??.

:evil:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Lawrence wrote:
scotchguy wrote:The 12 year old is good. But it is nothing like some of the older bottlings which have come from bottlers like Gordon & MacPhail. The Gordon & MacPhail 40 year old was amazingly complex, and some of their younger bottlings have also been noteworthy! I also fondly recall a 36 year old bottling from Coopers Choice. That was one hell of a dram.

Actually this thread is about the 12yo Strathisla, not bl**dy 30 and 40 year olds. Of course the 12 is nothing like the older bottlings but that's not the point now, is it??.

:evil:

Hey Lawrence, I don't think you can find one thread here that has not strayed from the point .... at least we kept it more relevant than usual :wink:

Now that I double check you never mentioned 12yo in the title ... tisk tisk ... who were we to know :P

Just to stray once more .... the amazing thing I find about the older bottlings is that they are very very reasonably priced.

But on you recomendation I'll think I'll get one as I've been curious since I had a taste of the '67 :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Maybe I should go back and edit the title? :D

However some of the older Strathisla's are very well priced.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

I meant to say I should get a 12yo ... how can I even keep your thread in line if I can't even keep my own postings in line :headbang:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Think I might pick up a Strathisla 12 as well Adrian. Embarrassed to say, I don't think I've tasted anything from this distillery before.

A job for the weekend I do believe
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:58 pm

martin grant wrote:Think I might pick up a Strathisla 12 as well Adrian. Embarrassed to say, I don't think I've tasted anything from this distillery before.

A job for the weekend I do believe

Lucky for you Martin, I wish I had that luxury ... I have to go on line to get this. Good hunting :thumbsup:

A well stocked off-licence that actually sell malts in my neck ofthe woods might only have 15 different Malts :shock: Even The Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin which is probably the only shop in Ireland that does have a good selection does not stock it :cry:

While looking for a bottle found this little tit bit

In 1993 a container of barrels from Kentucky was opened revealing a young black and white cat. Despite being undernourished and slightly drunk from the bourbon fumes "Dizzy" survived the six month quarantine and is now employed by the distillery as a anti-rodent opereative.

Now that must be a rags to riches story for a cat :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby talisker10 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 pm

I understand Strathisla is a big component of Chivas 12, which I discovered that I really like. I am going to try a bottle of Strathisla 12 when I have a chance.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 am

I hope you like it Tali10. I personally think it's great and a bit underrated.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 pm

talisker10 wrote:I understand Strathisla is a big component of Chivas 12, which I discovered that I really like. I am going to try a bottle of Strathisla 12 when I have a chance.

I suspect there's a lot more Allt a Bhainne in CR12, than Strathisla.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Iain wrote:
talisker10 wrote:I understand Strathisla is a big component of Chivas 12, which I discovered that I really like. I am going to try a bottle of Strathisla 12 when I have a chance.

I suspect there's a lot more Allt a Bhainne in CR12, than Strathisla.

strathisla is certainly the home of chivas 12, and I believe is the main component of cr12, however cant find proof of this online....
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Caledonia wrote:strathisla is certainly the home of chivas 12

Yes, that's what we're told. But what does that actually mean?

I think that just means that Strathisla is the place that marketing/sales persons are taken on their trip to Scotland. In the same way that Cardhu was (is?) the home of Johnnie Walker.

How much malt from the small Strathisla Distillery is in Chivas Regal? 5 per cent? Less?

Bearing in mind the blend is mostly composed of grain whisky, and that the huge Allt a Bhainne (like Braeval and Glen Keith) was dedicated to supplying malt for Chivas's blends.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Iain wrote:
Caledonia wrote:strathisla is certainly the home of chivas 12

Yes, that's what we're told. But what does that actually mean?

I think that just means that Strathisla is the place that marketing/sales persons are taken on their trip to Scotland. In the same way that Cardhu was (is?) the home of Johnnie Walker.

How much malt from the small Strathisla Distillery is in Chivas Regal? 5 per cent? Less?

Bearing in mind the blend is mostly composed of grain whisky, and that the huge Allt a Bhainne (like Braeval and Glen Keith) was dedicated to supplying malt for Chivas's blends.

Exactly my point really, but laid out better... 5% perhaps but is it the largest quantitiy ...

When considering production of distilleries , your point is worth noting 4,000,000 litres from allt a bhaine , only 2,400,00 from strathisla.

I shall look further into this and see if I can find a definite answer , only concerning strathisla of course.

By the way , the reason I understand strathisla to be the main component of Chivas is because I was told that at the distillery.

However similiar to what you said Iain (my name too btw) might just be tourist chat.

Chivas Regal, now in the Pernod Ricard portfolio, contains around 40% malt and up to 40 single malts, about four % of that coming from Strathisla single malt. In the US, Chivas 12-Year Old, 18-Year Old and Royal Salute are sold. - quoted from ''in the blend'' -http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQE/is_8_14/ai_109403073/

If the above statement is true the 4% could equally be one of the larger quantites in chivas.

Back to original point, I havent had silsa 12 in a while, perhaps as other whiskies always need tasting first. However I remember a certain malty softness ...perhaps i need refreshing - tommorrow :)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Hmm. I suspect that Strathclyde Distillery in the Gorbals might be the true (but not at very scenic!) home of Chivas Regal. Unless they're still using another company's grain spirit.

But Allt a Bhainne would do, if we're looking for the biggest malt whisky component...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:32 pm

The first thing I thought of when I first tasted Strath a few years back was Chivas. I've got a bottle of C12 open now and it seems far less like Strath than I remember - maybe the proportion of S12 has been reduced?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57 pm

OK, well let me put it this way. The reason I discovered I really liked Chivas 12, was a very nice nutty chocolate, almost cocoa powder taste (with ice). Is this a characteristic of Strathisla?

Thanks.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 pm

You cant compare a single malt to a blend , as Iain said its about 4% of the actual blend... could easily be non-descrept.
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:39 am

Well..I don't think you understood my question. I wasn't comparing Strathisla directly to Chivas, I was wondering if the nutty, chocolate, cocoa powder flavor I detect in Chivas is something you might find in Strathisla. In other words, forget about Chivas..does Strathisla 12 have a nutty flavor with chocolate overtones?
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Strath has a bit of a "nuttiness" but it's more about the malt and oak flavours with hints of fruitiness. The slightly gritty cocoa powder on the palate of Chivas isn't there in Strath but you'll probably the find the warm malty/oaky flavours more than make up for this. The xmas/fruit cake and apricot in the finish of Strath are nice too.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks, borgom. That does sound very appetizing!
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder