Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12 yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 12 yo

Postby itchington » Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:22 am

Recently tasted Macallan 12yo & 18yo side by side in Spain.
The 12yo was superlative, the 18yo not quite so.
Seems we cannot purchase 12yo in UK?
itchington

Postby SpeedyJohn » Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:26 pm

Dear Itch:

You're results are a bit surprising. What year was the 18yo? There have been some "disappointing" years of the Mac18, especially some recent ones. But, even those less-than-stellar Mac18s have been very good when ranked against the full spectrum of single malts, including the Mac12. In fact, the Mac18 is one of my Top Ten malts. IMHO, it is richer, more complex and ultimately more satisfying the any Mac12 I have ever had. What was it about the Mac12 that made it superlative to you and the Mac18 less so?

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby itchington » Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:15 pm

I have the 18yo in front of me as I write.
1982 vintage.
IMVHO the 12yo was richer with seemingly more body - but it's not with me now.
FYI - a litre bot was £21 in Barcelona
itchington

Postby SpeedyJohn » Fri Oct 05, 2001 7:02 pm

I can't aruge with your findings, since I have not tried the 1982 "vintage" of Mac18. And, based on your findings, I'm sort of glad I haven't. Around these parts (Pittsburgh, PA, USA), the Mac 18 is a special-order item that runs $100US. Too much to spend on a thin version of a classic.

SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby jonno » Sat Oct 20, 2001 5:01 pm

FYI only, and probably not useful!!!
Macallan 12yo available in duty free and I saw the new 1983/18 yo in Harrods for about 45 pounds.
jonno

Glayva Liqueur

Postby JVP » Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:08 am

I was given a bottle of Glayva for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about it?

Regards........JVP
JVP

Postby St.Peat » Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:38 pm

Glayva is a scotch liqueur (herbs, honey and other natural additions for flavor). It is quite easy to come by in California, not very expensive, and it tastes nice, so ... go ahead and try it, don't save it (there's more where that came from). I have heard that it is a favorite base for a Rusty Nail.

If you enjoy it, try to get ahold of some Glenfiddich Liqueur -- it is AFAIK only available at the distillery.

Cheers! Image

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 27 January 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by St.Peat:
If you enjoy it, try to get ahold of some Glenfiddich Liqueur -- it is AFAIK only available at the distillery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least here in Europe, Glenfiddich Liquer can be bought from some big whisky shops (like via Internet from www.whiskystore.de, hopefully posting this address isn't faux pas in this forum).
Ize
Silver Member

Postby howarths » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:51 pm

The Glenfiddich Liqueur is probably the worst drink I have ever tasted (bar none). It's a total waste of good whisky. I like a whisky liqueur as much as the next person, but this is truly awful. It's like cheap whisky with a tonne of sugar added!

It seems to me a distilleries attempt to get into a market they obviously know little about. IMHO.

Stick with Glayva or Drambuie, they do it much much better.
howarths

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder