Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Grouse

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Black Grouse

Black Grouse

Postby Drammed » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Has anyone had this recently? I just got a bottle from the duty free and opened it last night and I swear I poured a glass of Talisker 10 :shock: I had to do a double take (then a glass of Tali 10) to confirm. What a lovely surprise to find such a close flavor profile for such a cheap price. Maybe I got an exceptional bottle but I thought I'd share anyway.

Cheers
Drammed
Gold Member

Re: Black Grouse

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 am

I like Black Grouse too and Talisker 10. Sometimes I can taste a whisky and it really hits the spot. Sounds like you had one of these moments. A week later I try the same whisky and don't get the same effect.

My BG bottle has lasted a long time because I prefer other whiskies. I try it now and again and sometimes I really enjoy it.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Whisky1978 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:13 pm

I've tasted both of them in the last months (not site by site). Black grouse is one of the view blends with good smoke in it. I can't relate them to each other but I agree with Onefortheditch that BG has its moments!
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:06 pm

I had them again last night with a JWB and the taste (to me anyway) is very close. Obviously he Talisker 10 had more depth but the Grouse and JWB were almost the same to me. Then again I do not drink heavily peated whiskys as often as others.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 am

Yes, the Black Grouse is very good! I have a bottle on my bar and all my malt head friends love it.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:10 am

I enjoy it and think it is probably one of the better peaty blends out there.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:34 pm

You lucky guys....we dont have Black Grouse here in the states :twisted:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:39 am

Gov wrote:You lucky guys....we dont have Black Grouse here in the states :twisted:

I know I'd love to get a bottle.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:48 am

Gov wrote:You lucky guys....we dont have Black Grouse here in the states :twisted:

I got it from the duty free going into the states from canada at the bc/wash border.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:16 am

You will, it's just a matter of time.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:17 am

Drammed wrote:

I got it from the duty free going into the states from canada at the bc/wash border.

It's now a normally stocked product in the BCLDB
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Drammed wrote:

It's now a normally stocked product in the BCLDB

Wow that is new. I'll have to keep my eye open for it once my bottle is empty.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:30 pm

update

After having a few more drams. The "new" sensation has worn off a little and the wow factor has diminished. The grain taste is coming through now more that ever. It is still a fine whisky for the price though, just not as great as the initial impressions.

Cheers
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby robjohnston » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

I just had a little sample just now, and because ive had ardbeg and octomore it just didnt have the same impact, im not saying its not good, at that price why not, its just not am amazing dram.

The smokes a little too weak and the nose doesnt give you much execpt a fresh outdoor smell.

Ive had better!
robjohnston

Postby mlawrenson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:56 am

robjohnston wrote:I just had a little sample just now, and because ive had ardbeg and octomore it just didnt have the same impact, im not saying its not good, at that price why not, its just not am amazing dram.

The smokes a little too weak and the nose doesnt give you much execpt a fresh outdoor smell.

Isn't that a bit like lighting a match, and then wondering why it doesn't seem like a bonfire?
mlawrenson

Postby robjohnston » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:51 pm

mlawrenson wrote:
robjohnston wrote:I just had a little sample just now, and because ive had ardbeg and octomore it just didnt have the same impact, im not saying its not good, at that price why not, its just not am amazing dram.

Isn't that a bit like lighting a match, and then wondering why it doesn't seem like a bonfire?

I understand where your coming from, saying that it doesnt have to smash you in the face but its too subtle, youll get a wet nose if you try to find the peat in the nose!
robjohnston

Related whiskies : The Black Grouse

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder