Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Mccarthy's Single Malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : McCarthy's Single Malt

Mccarthy's Single Malt

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:20 pm

I am considering ordering a bottle of this but wanted to get some opinions on it first. Thank you

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Re: Mccarthy's Single Malt

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:58 pm

I've had one sample of this and it was fantastic. A surprising amount of smoke in it. Remember though that they do batches so expect some variation.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 am

This bottle is something American that really plays at hints of a Scotch Whiskey. Its peaty and smoky almost on the level of the 12 year old Caol Ila, but something distinctly American about it... Like it's my belief that you can taste something similar to a BBQ dry rub in its depths. Perhaps its more of a sense of smoke, pepper, and cumin mixed together, with a bit of a chili burn... but Its a treat.

And it most certainly does not seem like a 3 year old when you try it.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:42 am

I've heard good things about it from more than a few sources. I'll be ordering a bottle from Binny's soon, as it's not available out here. Was sad to see the price jump from $35 to $50 recently.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:38 pm

lockejn wrote:I've heard good things about it from more than a few sources. I'll be ordering a bottle from Binny's soon, as it's not available out here. Was sad to see the price jump from $35 to $50 recently.

Lockejn, have you tried Federal Wine & Spirits in Boston? I thought Joe had some of this not long ago! In fact, I think Steve McCarthy was in Boston just last year.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:37 am

Unfortunately Boston would be quite an adventure just for whisky. It would be nice to find a good shop closer to the NH border, though. Someplace I could pop down to a couple times a year for some different variety. I think for the most part Binny's is my best bet for bottles unavailable locally.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby bjorn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:41 pm

I had a bottle last year and thought it was delicious. I'll agree with what some of the others have said: very BBQ like, not disimilar to Caol Illa or Ardbeg (though with a little sherry influence!) Does not taste like a 3 yo whiskey. Highly recommend, though I might be hesitant to drop $50 on a bottle ($40 happily.)
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:27 am

Thank you for the responses. I will get a bottle (don't worry Jeff, I will get you a sample).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:16 pm

bjorn wrote:Does not taste like a 3 yo whiskey.

I concur... A very good, solidly constituted spirit that suggests to me (at various times and in brief flashes of flavour) of a Laphroaig or (especially) Ardbeg. Although a relative youngster, the contribution from the wood is of a high standard.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

I agree with all the positive comments here. McCarthy's is a fine whisky, especially for a three year old. I think I heard someone say that the malt comes from Port Ellen, but I might have dreamt that. I suspect that if they made enough of it to keep some until it got into double figures it would be awesome.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Willie JJ wrote:I suspect that if they made enough of it to keep some until it got into double figures it would be awesome.

Here's hoping! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : McCarthy's Single Malt

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder