Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

TOMINTOUL 16

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Tomintoul 16 Years Old

TOMINTOUL 16

Postby Spotman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Have any of you guys tried this stuff? I used to think that there isn't a bottle of Scotch that I didn't like. Well, I can't say that anymore. I bought a bottle for 30 bucks, which was cheap for a 16 yr. old. Now I see why the low price. The nose alone is enough to make me reconsider drinking the stuff. The taste is off putting, as well. It's hard to describe, but I could say it's sort of skunky tasting. Could it just be a bad bottle.......cask..........year?
Spotman

Re: TOMINTOUL 16

Postby Drammed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 am

Isn't this distillery used primarily as a blend component?
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Hmmm, are we talking about the same whisky? I've had it several times recently and thought is was very good. I'm tasting it again at a Angus Dundee tasting on Saturday and will report back.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:37 am

Lawrence:
I've both the 12 and the 16 in the Lair, please let us know how the tasting goes as I'm mulling over a whisky for New Years Eve.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi again, we had the tasting on Saturday night;

Tomintoul 10
Glencadam 10
Tomintoul 16
Glencadam 15
Tomintoul 12 Oloroso
Tomintoul Peaty Tang

I thought they were all very nice and this is the second tasting with this line in the last few months. The Tomintoul very much live up to their slogan of 'the gentle dram' but I think they are great whiskies but also think the Peaty Tang could use a bit more ageing. The local agent was spot on with his whisky facts and was careful not to tell people what was in the glass, all in all a first class presentation with a series of whiskies I am happy to see more and more of.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Drammed wrote:Isn't this distillery used primarily as a blend component?

This is correct and is also true for most distilleries. I think Bruichladdich and Ardbeg are the most visible exceptions who do not provide any malt for blending.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:24 pm

They were all mainly for blending until the owners realised there was money to be made selling them as singles. I don't believe that the proportion of a whisky that goes for blending is an indicator of its quality. I also think that Tomintoul is under-rated. More of a drinking malt than an in-your-face dram.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Lawrence:
I've both the 12 and the 16 in the Lair, please let us know how the tasting goes as I'm mulling over a whisky for New Years Eve.

Musky

I drank a bottle of the 12yo Oloroso and really enjoyed its mild mannered charm Musky. However, that 'limited bottling' seems to have gone a very long way so there may be more than one batch.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spotman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:38 pm

After consuming most of the bottle, I find it to taste very similar to Jura, "Superstition" and the new Dalmore 12. What is that flavour they share, I can't put my finger on it? Of course, I'll finish all three of them, but I'm not going to buy them any more. Thankfully, there are plenty of more single malts to enjoy. I haven't researched it yet, but I wonder if all three are from the same area in Scotland? What is that taste similar to all three? toffee?
Spotman

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Tomintoul - Speyside
Dalmore - northern Highland
Jura - Hebrides (western side)
Ganga
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Tomintoul 16 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder