Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caol Ila 8yo, Murray McDavid Ridge Zin Finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Caol Ila 8yo, Murray McDavid Ridge Zin Finish

Postby Chef! » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 am

Has anyone tried the 2000 Caol Ila 8 Year Old, Murray McDavid Ridge Zinfandel Finish?

I know a few here seem to enjoy the younger Caol Ila whiskies so finishing in zin barrels seems interesting. Price isn't too bad either...
Chef!

Re: Caol Ila 8yo, Murray McDavid Ridge Zin Finish

Postby sinclair » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:07 pm

Sorry Chef havn't tried the Caol Ila but am enjoying a Bowmore 11yr old 1995 bourbon/guigal condrieu viognier bottling from Murray Mcdavid.Also have open a Highland Park 1989 16yr old sherry/port from MMcD which is wonderful (jm gives it 95 and i must say i think i agree for once ).Have enjoyed quite a few MMcD bottlings over the years but you don't here much about them.Anybody else had any good ones?.
sinclair
Bronze Member

Postby Chef! » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Care to PM where you got yours?

I think I'll give this one a shot along with their Laphroaig 10yo Chateau Margaux for my next purchase. It almost sounds like it wouldn't work for such a medicinal dram but intriguing enough as I love all the Lapgroaig I've tried.
Chef!

Postby Ganga » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:30 am

Haven't tried this one in particular. I did have a peated Bruichladdich finished in Zin. I'm sure I've posted notes on the Bruichladdich First Born done for K&L Wines.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Chef! » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 am

Notes for Murray McDavid 2000 Caol Ila 8yo Bourbon Casks, Ridge Zinfandel Casks. 46%ABV
3500blts.

Nose

Cassis jam from the Zinfandel.
Palate
Light to medium bodied. Faint poached fruit and vanilla.
Finish

Sneak attack freshly baked yeast breads. Malt and Cereal. Medicinal peat.
Comment
I immediately noticed the strawberry red -or- used copper penny color from the zinfandel finish. This one benefited from a little water. Too elegant for my tastes but definitely one to share with good company or when you're in the mood for something smooth and not so in-your-face and fuller bodied. 85pts.
Chef!

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 am

Chef! wrote:Notes for Murray McDavid 2000 Caol Ila 8yo Bourbon Casks, Ridge Zinfandel Casks. 46%ABV
3500blts.

Nose

Cassis jam from the Zinfandel.
Palate
Light to medium bodied. Faint poached fruit and vanilla.
Finish

Sneak attack freshly baked yeast breads. Malt and Cereal. Medicinal peat.
Comment
I immediately noticed the strawberry red -or- used copper penny color from the zinfandel finish. This one benefited from a little water. Too elegant for my tastes but definitely one to share with good company or when you're in the mood for something smooth and not so in-your-face and fuller bodied. 85pts.

Nice notes Chef.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Hey Chef! I'd be interested in seeing you write up some notes on this one again over a period of time. We've always noted that things change after the bottle is open. I tend to find that the wine notes diminish and the underlying malt starts to assert itself after 6 to 8 weeks of open time.

I just checked the Bruichladdich "First Born" was finished in Ridge Zinfandel. Here are my most formal notes (roughly 3/4 page down): viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2193&p=194302&hilit=+First+Born+#p194302
I also looked some comments made later. As the bottle spent time open the wine had less influence (dominating at first) and the peatiness started to establish itself as the dominant component.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Chef! » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Interesting... I will try again a month from now and so forth.
Chef!

Postby Chef! » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 am

Couldn't wait to pour another :thumbsup:

The nose has developed quite well in the last couple weeks. Think plums, leather and chocolate with a light peat background. Very nice.

Palate and finish seems to be what I remember. Will try again in two more weeks when close friend comes into town for the holidays.
Chef!

Postby Chef! » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 am

Ganga wrote:Hey Chef! I'd be interested in seeing you write up some notes on this one again over a period of time. We've always noted that things change after the bottle is open. I tend to find that the wine notes diminish and the underlying malt starts to assert itself after 6 to 8 weeks of open time.

Bottle is about 2/3 finished and I'm actually experiencing both the wine finish and the characteristics of the young malt coming through stronger in a one-two punch.
Chef!

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder