Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich 16 yr Bourbon

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bruichladdich 16 yr Bourbon

Postby Drammed » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:44 am

Anybody tried this? I see it has not been reviewed on this site. I did see a review by Serge but I was hoping to get more than 1 opinion on this whisky.

Cheers
Drammed
Gold Member

Re: Bruichladdich 16 yr Bourbon

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 am

Sorry drammed, I haven't had it but it does look tasty (and Serges review intrigues me, I was considering buying one of the first growths for our tasting later this month but maybe I will have to get this). If you get it let me know and If I end up with it I will let you know how it is. :thumbsup:

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby bcrossan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 am

I grabbed a bottle of this from TWE a few months ago. It is pretty nice. :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Drammed » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Sean,

It might be a little while before I get a chance to buy another bottle as I blew a wad on all that Corry :D I will let you know if I do get some though. I am hoping it comes to the Hopscotch event on the 20th.

bcrossan,

would you be so kind as to elaborate on your tasting.

thanks
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Have you googled 'bruichladdich 16yo bourbon cask' yet, because I came up with a few blogs (in English) with reviews about this whisky.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:35 am

Drammed wrote:.

bcrossan,

thanks

I am not much for notes... but I would call it similar to a Glenmo 10, Balvenie 10, and even some of a Balvenie 15. So if you like those this would be a good choice.
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Drammed » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 am

bcrossan wrote:

bcrossan,

thanks

I am not much for notes... but I would call it similar to a Glenmo 10, Balvenie 10, and even some of a Balvenie 15. So if you like those this would be a good choice.

Thank you for this. I do enjoy Balvenie so I am looking forward to tasting this. It looks like it is going to be at the tasting on the 20th so horray for me as I'd hate to drop $110 on a bottle i did not like (although I have done that before >.<)
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Drammed wrote:
bcrossan wrote:

bcrossan,

thanks

Thank you for this. I do enjoy Balvenie so I am looking forward to tasting this. It looks like it is going to be at the tasting on the 20th so horray for me as I'd hate to drop $110 on a bottle i did not like (although I have done that before >.<)

You and me both!! :o

I got mine from TWE and it was much less than that... assuming you buy enough to lower the freight per bottle
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I seem to recall having the opportunity to try this one. My recollections were a lot of barley grist and vanilla. Not overly complex but tasty. At the same time, I also tried the Resurrection. This was surprisingly good. I'm looking forward to a 10 yo expression in a couple of years.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:39 pm

When i first saw this i really wanted to try it , after all the XVII was one of my all time fav Laddies , A bottle was purchased and opened.....seemed a really Fresh , bourbon Laddie , incredibly Bourboned and fresh......
Reading the label all became clear.....
"This 16yo Bruichladdich has been matured in Jim Beam casks. We then gave it an Additional Cask Evolution in fresh American oak from Buffalo Trace......"
They finished it ! I was disappointed ! It's an ok bottle but the freshness seems false for 16yo .
technically Shouldn't that be Re-racked and not aced ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks for the additional information G. I thought it was good but nowhere near what the XVII was nor for that matter the 1990s bottling of the 21.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:When i first saw this i really wanted to try it , after all the XVII was one of my all time fav Laddies , A bottle was purchased and opened.....seemed a really Fresh , bourbon Laddie , incredibly Bourboned and fresh......
Reading the label all became clear.....
"This 16yo Bruichladdich has been matured in Jim Beam casks. We then gave it an Additional Cask Evolution in fresh American oak from Buffalo Trace......"
They finished it ! I was disappointed ! It's an ok bottle but the freshness seems false for 16yo .
technically Shouldn't that be Re-racked and not aced ?

Thank you for that info. So it is matured in bourbon and "finished" in bourbon? Why not just add some corn to the mash :P

Too bad. I am still looking forward to tasting this though.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby charlie7 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm a newbie here (both on this forum and to whisky) but since it says *fresh* American oak, doesn't that mean it's "virgin" casks (not used for Bourbon or anything else) before ?
charlie7

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:35 pm

charlie7 wrote:I'm a newbie here (both on this forum and to whisky) but since it says *fresh* American oak, doesn't that mean it's "virgin" casks (not used for Bourbon or anything else) before ?

Hi Charlie ,
Fresh in Scotch whisky usually means it's never had Scotch Whisky (or to be more precise New Make or Spirit) in it , usually just had the Bourbon / Sherry / Wine in it .
Some distilleries say "Fresh" others "1st fill" .
When it's filled for a second time with New Spirit they either say 2nd fill or just simply Refill .
If a cask has not had anything in it at all they normally refer to it as New Oak over here .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:30 am

Or "virgin oak".
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:33 am

lockejn wrote:Or "virgin oak".

Can never remember it been referred to that over here in the UK .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:32 pm

As you said, it's not very common, but a few examples from the "Q&A > Traditional oak whisky cask" post:

BenRiach 1977 (Virgin Oak cask 3978)
Signatory Glen Elgin 12yo Virgin oak
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder