Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Taste Profile Question: Laphroaig Cask Strength

General chat and talk about whisky.

Taste Profile Question: Laphroaig Cask Strength

Postby Chef! » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 am

I've only been here a very short while and am a relative novice compared to most here as already addressed in my introduction post. In the last year I've completely immersed myself in all things whisky... mostly scotch, bourbons and rye. It's the same way I taught myself wine and has been paying dividends, especially since coming here.

In the last month alone I've purchased about twenty bottles, have half that open and have 5 more in the mail including the '99 Laphroaig 10yo M.McDavid Chateau Margaux Finish and '00 Caol Ila 8yo Murray McDavid Ridge Zin Finish because they sound so interesting (will post notes).

But one thing remains the same and that's my love for the Laphroaig Cask Strength. In all the online orders I've added at least one bottle to the invoice and have bought-out most of my area. I'm absolutely in love with this dram as it's everything from medicinal to sweet and woody. The full bodied mouth feel is wonderful. I can't get enough.

I do plan to slow down and have already set a personal limit to $200 a month starting the new year. We'll see if I stick to that resolution... :roll:

Based on the personal inventory list I keep on-hand (just to stay organized much like I do with wine) and my love for this particular taste profile, what do you recommend I purchase next (or open if I haven't already):

Closed Open Finished
Aberlour

A'bunadh (batch no.26) 1 0 0

Ardbeg

Supernova 1 0 0

Caol Ila

12yo 2 0 0
'00 8yo Murray McDavid Ridge Zin Finish 2 0 0

High West

16yo Rye 0 1 0
Rendezvous Rye (batch no.28) 1 1 0

Jack Daniel's

Gentleman Jack 0 1 0
Old No7 86 Proof 1 1 3

Lagaluvin

16yo 4 0 0

Laphroaig

10yo 1 1 2
10yo Cask Strength (Red Label) 6 1 2
Quarter Cask 1 0 0
Signatory 1990 Vintage 18yo CS 2 0 0
Signatory 2000 Vintage 7yo CS 2 0 0
15yo 1 0 0
18yo 2 0 0
'99 10yo M.McDavid Chateau Margaux Finish 1 0 0

Midleton

Very Rare 2008 1 0 0

Redbreast

12yo 0 1 0

Talisker

10yo 1 0 2
18yo 2 0 0

Tyrconnell

Port Finish 0 1 0

Wild Turkey

Rye 101 0 1 0
Rare Breed 2 1 1

FYI, my next plan is to buy Ardbeg Uigeadail, Corryvreckan, Airigh Nam Beist for a holiday tasting with family and chef friends. A pot-luck event to include funds for the whisky so why the hell not? Should be fun.
Chef!

Re: Taste Profile Question: Laphroaig Cask Strength

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:30 pm

If I understand your list you have 4 Lagavulin 16's and 2 Talisker 18's that you haven't tried, so I'd open them next since they are in a similar style to your favorite L10 c/s, and then maybe A'bunadh, a real c/s Sherry monster. The '99 Laphroaig 10yo M.McDavid Chateau Margaux Finish sounds interesting also, we don't get a lot of IB Laphroaigs here. Actually all the Laphroaigs you have are distinct enough to compare their differences. I haven't tried the L18yo yet. Enjoy all those Ardbegs if you've never had one you're in for a peat treat. :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Chef! » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:12 pm

It didn't post exactly how I had written it in the message box. You are correct... the first number is closed, second open and third is finished.

Looks like I'll have to try those two next. Any recommendations for purchase?
Chef!

Postby Chef! » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 am

I think I'll do that next having just opened a Uigeadail tonight. Off the top of my head it's like a beautiful marriage of both Laphroaig CS and 10yo.

I hope that I'll enjoy the QC as it's easier on the wallet and readily available here.
Chef!

Postby jhershauer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:05 am

I agree 100% on opening up that QC. As for a purchase, how about Lagavulin 12 year? The 2009 release just came out. The Laga 16 is amazing, but I'd put the 12 year closer to Laphroaig 10 CS in terms of profile. Plus, it's cask strength, so you have that similarity as well.

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 pm

In the same vein as the Laphroaig Cask Strength and Lagavulin 12 Year Old Special Release Cask Strength, you might also want to try the Caol Ila Cask Strength... Its momentary sweetness at the outset rapidly shifts to an invigorating Islay dryness that is quite distinct from the other two.

Fantastic aperitif Scotch! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder