Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Notes for Signatory Laphroaig 18yo Cask Strength

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 18 Years Old

Notes for Signatory Laphroaig 18yo Cask Strength

Postby Chef! » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Notes for Signatory Laphroaig 18yo CS. Cask 80 55.3 ABV Btl 96 of 217

Nose

Wet Oak, Peat, Faint Vanilla Syrup
Palate
Nice mouth feel but not as viscous and oily as Red Stripe 10yo CS. Piperine, Biscuits with a drizzle of orange blossom honey.
Finish

Peatiness that lingered to a hint of over blanched asparagus. Not getting any in-your-face iodine or medicinal bandage qualities.
Comment
The most tame of the Laphroaigs I have had yet in my limited exposure of four (the others being 10yo, 10yo CS, QC). Beginning to think I am a bigger fan of the younger, more robust Laphroaigs or just younger whisky in general. Great stuff nonetheless and I am happy that I decided to open.
Chef!

Re: Notes for Signatory Laphroaig 18yo Cask Strength

Postby clicker7 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Sounds quite good.

I think you might enjoy a Laphroaig 15yr.-- if you can still find one. It is gentler than the 10, smooth, and complex with the Laphroaig profile.

Still haven't seen new 18 around here, but looking forward to trying it.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Chef! » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:49 pm

I own unopened bottles of each. There in the queue to be opened but the Binny's 2000 Signatory Laph CS is next to be tried and reviewed :thumbsup:
Chef!

Postby Chef! » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 am

The bottle has only been open a few days and I already noticed a difference since day one. Everything is much more apparent and in balance. Much more in line with what I expected from an 18yo CS from laphroaig. I enjoyed this evening's dram a lot more. Maybe this one was too tight to begin with and needed that cork popped? *goes to pour another*
Chef!

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:19 pm

:D You've shown the point of waiting on some of those bottles that you are disappointed with when you first open them. It will be interesting to see what you think of these in a few months.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Chef! » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 am

If they last that long. :lol: I'll need to open more bottles if I expect to make it months.

The difference is substantial... even the iodine I expected initially is now alive. More honey notes as well and on the palate.
Chef!

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 18 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder