Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My Ardbeg Corryvreckan notes

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Corryvreckan

My Ardbeg Corryvreckan notes

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:43 am

This is what nosing and tasting is all about. The notes may be goofy at times, but I thoroughly enjoy the whole process when it flows this easily.

Name: Ardbeg Corryvreckan 57.1% abv Islay

Color: Light gold

Nose: String beans/seaweed, peat and smoke, shortbread cookies, driftwood, mustard seed, praline pecans, candle wax, iodine, cotton rope, some stewed fruit notes, hint of citrus and cocoa at the back of the throat

Palate: Billowing smoke, juicy sweet stone fruit(peach, plum, tart cherry), black pepper, spicy middle(Szechuan Pork), more smoke like mesquite charcoal or barrel char, a dry hay or bracken texture, pecan pie with crisp crust

Body: Very firm, almost chewy

Finish: Long smoky drying effect like breathing ashes or biting leather gloves

Notes: The smoke lies on top of everything but actually doesn't get in the way of the other flavors, more so magnifies them. I'm impressed with the complexity of both the aroma and taste profile. It would be easy to say the Ten on steroids, but that's not quite it either. Also different than Supernova and Uigeadail, I like the innate balance here.

With a splash of water: clay, bonfire ash aroma; taste is the fruit over top of the smoke like pie in a wood fired oven. At this strength it can handle the water well, so...

Adding more water: creek stones and greenery aromas reminiscent of a Talisker; taste now is peaty water or Pu-erh tea.

Empty glass:
firewood, nutmeg and roasted hazelnuts

Score: 96
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: My Ardbeg Corryvreckan notes

Postby Chef! » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 am

I haven't heard one negative thing about this dram. Uigeadail lovers praise this more-so in some cases and I loved the Uigeadail bottle I had, so...
Chef!

Postby Drammed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

I am surprised you do not get a burst of chocolaty fudge on the palate. Every time I have a dram of this i find it very pronounced.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Drammed wrote:I am surprised you do not get a burst of chocolaty fudge on the palate. Every time I have a dram of this i find it very pronounced.

Tried a dram again last night. Still not getting fudge in the taste, but that raw cocoa at the back of the throat in the aroma. Checked my Ardbeg notes and the Supernova was the only one I tasted chocolate and it was right up front. I can see how the Corry's smoky sweet leathery combo could be read as the burned edge of brownies kind of like the Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout I paired it with to try to bring it out. Maybe as the bottle rests awhile it will become more pronounced.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder