Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sealed Bottle of Crown Royal (1965)

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Sealed Bottle of Crown Royal (1965)

Postby DBMurphy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:06 am

Hey Whisky lovers!

I was hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. We found the above bottle of Crown Royal, sealed from 1965. Can anyone tell me what it may be worth or who I can talk to about its possible worth? Thanks, we would really appreciate any feedback!
DBMurphy

Re: Sealed Bottle of Crown Royal (1965)

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 am

My guess is that it is worth scarcely more than a brand-new bottle of Crown Royal. I, even I -a regular drinker of Crown Royal - would not pay a cent more for your bottle than I would for a new one.

Sorry.

:(
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:06 am

I would tend to agree. This sort of inquiry comes up on forums rather frequently, particularly as regards old bottles of Canadian whisky. So, let's look at the 'plus' and 'minus' columns...

PLUS

1. Crown Royal has, to a limited extent, 'evolved' down through the decades. And those of us who have tasted it over an extended period of time do note a very slight difference between older issues and more contemporary ones. Personally, I speculate these differences may have something to do with the closing down of most of the historic Seagram sites (such as the Waterloo and Lasalle distilleries) and the centralization of operations at the large Gimli site in Manitoba. To this limited extent, your bottle of Crown Royal may lie, tastewise, somewhere between current bottlings of regular Crown Royal and current bottlings of Crown Royal Limited Edition or Special Reserve. This is not a conclusive fact by any stretch of the imagination!

2. The whisky in that bottle of yours may have altered slightly over the years due to reductive processes. Once again, nothing here is written in stone.

MINUS

1. Any such differences are likely so miniscule as to be insignificant.

2. The market for venerable bottles of Canadian whisky is equally miniscule, and therefore not exactly rewarding financially.

Bottom line... You're better off popping the cap and enjoying what's inside, or else gifting the bottle to someone who will do likewise.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:18 am

I say buy a new bottle of Crown Royal and then open both and post your notes about the similarities and differences as it isn't really worth anything more than a current bottle. Have fun.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder