Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Showdown of the cask strength Glens!

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which cask strength Glen?

Glenmorangie Astar
31%
The Glenlivet Nadurra
69%

Total votes : 13

Showdown of the cask strength Glens!

Postby lockejn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 am

I've nearly run out of new whiskies to try on offer at my state liquor stores. I'm considering one of these cask strength beauties for purchase in the near future. Which do you prefer and why?
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Re: Showdown of the cask strength Glens!

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 am

I am going to answer this the only way I know how. Taste off. Glenmo Astar vs 2 Nadurras.

Glenmo Astar.
Lots of vanilla. honey, malt, and some floral notes (carnations?). Feels a little lab created. Must like vanilla to enjoy this. 82 points. Nice but simple.

Nadurra Batch 0606A
Ginger and grass. Slight vanilla, and a green apple. Slight oak and some white pepper. 85 points. More complex.

Nadurra Batch 1206B (thanks for the sample Jobi)
Malt, slightly unripe apples and apple skins. Slight cardboard. Water helps. Brings out ginger, oatcakes, and some yeastiness. 72 without water. 78 with water.

hmm. Tough decision. I will choose........

Nadurra. Just seems to be more complex, though if you like vanilla the Astar would be an excellent choice.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

I have not noticed any batch variation in the Nadurra yet and I would still take it over the Astar even at the same price. They are both good but the Astar seems more like a beefed up 10yo, while the Nadurra has complexity and that fresh mint profile that sets it apart. Whichever you go for put the other on the list for later. :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 pm

I have not had the Astar, so my input isn't particularly helpful. But, I have had a sample of the Nadurra and can say that I would not be disappointed in picking up a bottle. It was a very enjoyable dram and easy drinking for such a high ABV.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Jimi gives a very good description of the Astar, a beefed up 10. Astar is much more on the malty side while the Nadurra exemplies fresh fruits. There does seem to be a little variation in the batches but the various ones I've had present some fresh greens, green apples, pineapples and some other citric fruits.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby steveblack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 am

jimidrammer wrote:I have not noticed any batch variation in the Nadurra yet and I would still take it over the Astar even at the same price. They are both good but the Astar seems more like a beefed up 10yo, while the Nadurra has complexity and that fresh mint profile that sets it apart. Whichever you go for put the other on the list for later. :)

+1

Most of the Glenmo range seem to be similar with only the intensity separating them. At least to me. That is not to suggest it is bad, I like them. But Nadurra ahead of Astar/Lasanta/Nectar/Original for me.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:45 am

I dont know which Nadurra batch you have over there. I have the 0109G sat in front of me. Quite nice and even with no water added ( 53.6% ) it goes down very easy, even too easy. The Astar i've just finished was far too minty ( for some reason ). Others dont mention the mint - maybe its just me but for that reason i'd go for the Nad.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drammed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Nadurra is miles ahead of the Astar.

I am a little baised though as I have a bottle of Nadurra in my "zombie Apocalypse" cabinet :D
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:37 am

jimidrammer wrote:Whichever you go for put the other on the list for later. :)

I concur. The Nadurra is better value (at least in the UK) but I would be surprised if you didn't find them both to be enjoyable whiskies.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder