Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Glenlivets and Nadurra taste alikes

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

The Glenlivets and Nadurra taste alikes

Postby steveblack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I have been saying this all around the forums, it has become a cliche I guess.

A bottle of Nadurra has changed my views on the Glenlivets. It is not as if I have had each and very bottle of Glenlivet brands. The other Glenlivets I have tasted and keep include Glenlivet 12 and the 15 French Oak and found them little underwhelming. Nadurra has changed all that and I am wondering if there are other bottling in their stable that would be equal or a step above the Nadurra. I am not looking at the exotic ones that costs multiple hundreds.

Nadurra was an explosion of flavours and quite yummy on the palate. It was also the only cask strength whisky that I have ever tasted. What are the other similar brands that are complex, full of flavour and quite a handful on the palate? What other whisky in Glenlivet lineup match Nadurra in flavour, character etc?

Any feedback welcome. Thank you in advance.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Re: The Glenlivets and Nadurra taste alikes

Postby dramtastic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 pm

steveblack wrote:
What are the other similar brands that are complex, full of flavour and quite a handful on the palate?

Any feedback welcome. Thank you in advance.

Aberlour a'bunadh is a forum favorite. Should do the trick and is a different style to the nadurra so adds some variety to your diet. Should be pretty easy to find and good value as well.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46 pm

I think Nadurra is the best in the Glenlivet range and nothing really else matches it. My next favorite is the 21 Yr, but that is about double the price and a lower ABV
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 am

bcrossan wrote:I think Nadurra is the best in the Glenlivet range and nothing really else matches it. My next favorite is the 21 Yr, but that is about double the price and a lower ABV

Concur.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Let me second dramtastic's suggestion for you to try the Aberlour a'bunadh. Yes, you have to like heavily Sherry-influenced whiskies to get along with this one, but it's got a good track record for consistency and excellence - never mind the value aspect!

For a variation-on-a-theme approach vis-a-vis the Nàdurra, you may want to give the Glengoyne 12 Year Old Cask Strength a whirl in your glass. Not quite the degree of complexity of the Glenlivet, perhaps, but a good ginger-edged surge of ultra-clean malt I find refreshing and invigorating. Really good price point, too.

Are you into smokiness at all? If so, then you'd be doing yourself a bad turn to not try the Caol Ila Cask Strength, Lagavulin 12 Year Old Cask Strength or Laphroaig Cask Strength. All quite wonderful, each in its own way. Not exorbitantly priced either, given the bang-in-the-glass factor.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby arkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:44 pm

How about Glenmorangie Astar,(dont mind if I do ,Bishop!i'll try one now)
lots of fruit;apricots,clementines,melon,barley sugar ,vanilla, hint of cinnamon,bitter almonds and a peppery finish.
Not as sweet as Nadurra,not as oaky as Abunadh especially good on second tasting.
regards Arkle
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby steveblack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Thank you everybody. I remember posting a reply to dramstatic as soon as he posted his reply, but I cannot see it here. Strange!

I made a mistake when I posted in the 'Recent purchase' thread that I bought Aberlour a'bunadh. I meant Balwenie DW. I have the a'bundadh on my sight now.

TDT, here in Dubai, we have limited choices. I got to buy th Nadurra from Singapore duty free and am regretting not buying more bottles. I believe, the cask strength ones are the ones to look out for, if you need more complex tastes. I know you like more of CS stuff, so that's one direction to look into.

As for the Glenmorangie, I very much like The Original and it is a staple now with me. All the three of their whiskies that I tried seem to have the same signature tastes. Nectar D'or was good, may be like the original on steroids. Lasanta was somewhere in between the original and Nectar D'or. Is the Astar drastically different or complex compared to the other Glenmorangie brands?

Honestly the complexity and diversity among the single malt whiskies are really worth the exploration. There is not a moment of boredom and there is always something drastically different to try out. I am liking the journey very much.

:thumbsup:
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby charlano » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:31 pm

steveblack wrote:As for the Glenmorangie, I very much like The Original and it is a staple now with me. All the three of their whiskies that I tried seem to have the same signature tastes. Nectar D'or was good, may be like the original on steroids. Lasanta was somewhere in between the original and Nectar D'or.

I have the original as well in my shelf. Recently I tried the Original, the Lassanta, the Nectar d'or and the Quita Ruban. I already knew the Original since I had it ordered before. I was really excited at that time to taste the Nectar d'or, since everybody was talking about it. I was to buy a bottle, but before that I went to a whisky bar to try them four (the Original as a reference). I think that Nectar d'or is overrated... However, I really appreciated the LAssanta :D

My order of preference for those 4:

1. Lassanta (will purchase soon)
2. Original (always as good)
3. Quinta Ruban (had already tried it before --> not impressed)
4. Nectar d'Or (didn't impressed me at all. Maybe a poorly conserved bottle ?)
charlano

Postby steveblack » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks charlano

I will also do a three way testing to see how the three (I don't have Quinta Ruban) compare. My initial rankings were

Nectar D'or
Original
Lasanta

These keep changing, so I am not quite rushing anything. My main point was these three are more similar than they are different and if someone were to do a double blind test, it will be interesting to see the results.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 pm

steveblack wrote:Is the Astar drastically different or complex compared to the other Glenmorangie brands?

Steve I'm guessing that the Glenmo Astar might not be available there, but the next time you are on your travels you could do worse than take up Arkle's suggestion and pick one up. It is a development of the old Artisan Cask and is much more intense than the rest of the range I think. Definitely worth a try, although it is more expensive.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

bcrossan wrote:I think Nadurra is the best in the Glenlivet range and nothing really else matches it. My next favorite is the 21 Yr, but that is about double the price and a lower ABV

I said the same thing to the Glenlivet table at Whisky Fest SF '08', to which I got a raised eyebrow.

Some Nadurra batches are better than others, but I haven't found one that I don't like.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 am

lohssanami wrote:

I said the same thing to the Glenlivet table at Whisky Fest SF '08', to which I got a raised eyebrow.

Some Nadurra batches are better than others, but I haven't found one that I don't like.

I remember that table. I walked away feeling underwhelmed by the 25, which I am sure is the one they want you to want the most :roll:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby steveblack » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
steveblack wrote:Is the Astar drastically different or complex compared to the other Glenmorangie brands?

Steve I'm guessing that the Glenmo Astar might not be available there, but the next time you are on your travels you could do worse than take up Arkle's suggestion and pick one up. It is a development of the old Artisan Cask and is much more intense than the rest of the range I think. Definitely worth a try, although it is more expensive.

Yes, you are correct. It is not available locally. In fact, there is no mention of it on Glemorangie web site either. I will try to get one anyway. As for expense, I am slowly getting into buying some more expensive ones for that occasional special drink. The staples are all less expensive ones like Glenmo 10, HP 12, 'Fiddich 15 etc.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 am

Steve:
Another bottling to attempt to find would be an Edradour Cask strength bottling. It comes in a burgandy coloured tube and the decanter is a delight to hold and pour from. I have a 1989 (52.7% abv) which I picked up in 2003 which is very warming, rich and for my money comparable to the better A'Bunadh batches I've tried.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MacLlyr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 am

I recommend the Ardmore quarter cask. It is not as high of an ABV but it is a good value I think and it does much to tickle the pallet. I think it is also a good introduction to peated whisky as it is not as strong in peat as the Islay Malts but the peat is there.
MacLlyr

Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder