Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 18 Dumpy

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Highland Park 18 Dumpy

Postby nxthree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Found a HP18 dumpy mixed in with the new flat bottle at a local liquor store. Only $85. I've only had the 12yr. Is this too good of a price to pass up for the older bottling?

Brian
nxthree

Re: Highland Park 18 Dumpy

Postby nxthree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Kinda what I was hoping someone would say. I'll grab it after work. Might be the only opportunity I have to find this specific bottle in Iowa.
nxthree

Postby nxthree » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Wow. You can definitely taste the influence of an extra 6 years of sherry oak. That has to be one of the most impressive finishes I've had of anything at 43%abv.

Very impressive, and worth every penny.

And yes, the 18yr flat and the older 18yr dumpy were the same price. I'd reckon the dumpy had been sitting on the shelf for at least a few years.
nxthree

Postby jhershauer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 am

Interesting timing on this post. I just stopped in at a little liquor store in a low income area on my way home tonight. They had a bunch of older bottles, including the HP 18 "dumpy" for $80. I bought a Dalmore 21 for $90, but I think I'll go back tomorrow and pick up that HP 18.

It'll be interesting to compare it to my almost empty HP 18 flat bottle.

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby Scotch66 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:10 pm

I also found a few stores with the "dumpy" bottle and found this older release to be superior to the current oval bottling. In fact, so darn delicious was it, that I bought all I could find. Had a dozen or so bottles and polished a few off...now I am very particular about when to open the others. If the current 18 hits the red spot for you, then the older version splits the arrow! :P
Scotch66

Postby Bozo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:49 am

this post reminded me that i'd seen the old dumpy HP18 at a local bottle'o in sydney. i called them up and confirmed it, and went back to pick it up. most expensive bottle i've bought yet, but i suspect it'll be worth it when i find an occasion worthy of cracking it open. funny thing was they thought i'd be turned off by the fact that it was an older version...... :wink:
Bozo

Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder