Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 12yrs

General chat and talk about whisky.

Highland Park 12yrs

Postby blacksabb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 am

Hi everyone. I've tried this a few times now and wanted to share my thoughts on it. I recently downed a bottle with dad that I bought as a promotional item, which also included a 50ml bottle of HP 18yrs.

Firstly, I realise that peat and smoke isn't really my thing in whisky. Neither is particularly the assortment of sherry matured whiskies. I realise that I like a straight oak cask matured whisky. So far, my 2 favourites are The Glenlivet Nadurra and Yamazaki 12yrs.

And I have to say, that to me as a novice, I find the idea of both a peated and sherry cask matured whisky to be bizarre. But I can say that in the Highland Park 12yrs, it works! The light peat palate is beautifully balanced by the sherry cask, which is why I think I liked it as I don't particularly like either straight peat or a sweet palate with sherry maturation.

The small sample of HP 18yrs was even better. Whereas in the HP 12yrs, the peat and sweet palate were 2 distinct entities, in the HP 18yrs they just meld together, rather than balance and complement each other as in the HP 12yrs. Well that's my impression, I don't know if anyone would agree with me on that.

I believe Ardmore also have a lightly peated and sherry cask matured whisky, albeit with no vintage. I'm thinking of trying this also to compare it to the HP 12yrs.

Also, I would regard the Highland Park 12yrs as the best value for money quality single malt whisky. Where I am, it's $63. The next cheapest quality malts are the Dalwhinnie and Cragganmore 12yrs, both around $75. The rest of the whisky range starts at about $85. I think $63 is excellent value for money considering the huge reputation and awards that the HP 12yrs has accrued. There's only a couple of other single malts cheaper such as the Aberlour 10yrs ($50) but of course they don't have anywhere near the reputation and quality of the HP 12yrs.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Highland Park 12yrs

Postby lockejn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the Highland Parks. I think your impressions on the difference between the 12 and 18 are spot on. I also agree that it's awfully hard to beat the value aspect of HP 12 - though I think you're paying an awful lot for it (not knowing quite where you are).

I'm not sure how much sherry maturation the Ardmore whiskies get, but I would caution that it's got a fair bit more peat than the Highland Park I think. It's nothing like an Ardbeg or Laphroaig, but still substantial. If you're talking about the Traditional Cask expression, you might be better served with a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream if available. Half the price, all the Ardmore character, and I actually find it ever slightly more preferable.

Other high-value malts (based on my local prices) I think you might enjoy are Old Pulteney 12, Speyburn 10, and Bunnahabhain 12.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 am

Collector57 wrote:If you don't like sherry avoid Aberlour.
But I would second OP12 - excellent, cheap and fresh!

Hey there Nick. I'm just curious. What do you mean by "fresh?"
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Nick OP123 ? sounds a bit old. :)
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 am

Hey Nick, I'm thinking of getting a bottle of Old Pultney 12yrs. Can you tell me more about it? Is it peated, sweet etc?
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:14 pm

blacksabb, a couple of months ago we did an Old Pulteney Live tasting and five or six of us (including Nick) posted notes on the 12. here is the link
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12426

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby blacksabb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm

pkt77242 wrote:blacksabb, a couple of months ago we did an Old Pulteney Live tasting and five or six of us (including Nick) posted notes on the 12. here is the link
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12426

Sean

Hey thanks for that link. I'm definately going to pick up a bottle, it sounds really interesting.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder