Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas 21 or Balvenie 21 or...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfarclas 21 or Balvenie 21 or...

Postby morten300 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey everyone

I am counting on buying a new bottle of whisky to my (not too large) collection, and I'm thinking of buying either the 'Glenfarclas 21 YO' or 'Balvenie 21 YO Port Wood Finish'. I really like sherried and fullbodied whiskys, like 'Macallan 12 YO Sherry Cask' and 'Aberlour A'Bunadh', so I thought these two whiskys would be a good choice.

But what do you think?

I will be buying the bottles at this store:
http://www.calle-vinlager.dk/products/p ... uItemID=44
And I will maximum spend 75 euros on the whisky.
morten300

Re: Glenfarclas 21 or Balvenie 21 or...

Postby Jobi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:32 am

The Glenfarclas will be more in line with the Macallan and Aberlour for sure. But I say go for a little something different with the Balvenie. It's a really tasty whisky I used to keep on hand regularly before the price skyrocketed. You won't go wrong with either.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 am

I'm admittedly addicted to Balvenie, and almost everyone I know REALLY likes the Balvenie 21.

But, I would almost recommend looking for the Glenfarclas 25. I know it wasn't one of your options (sorry), but it is generally very well priced.

If you can't find it, or can't find it in your price range, then I would opt for the Balvenie 21.

If you really like the sherry, maybe also look for a Balvenie 17 Sherry. Not the easiest to find (and also not on your list, sorry again), but this is a Balvenie that is matured in sherry casks, not just finished in them. In other words, they spend all 17 years in there, not just an ending finishing period.

Just my $0.02.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:07 am

I'm a huge Glenfarclas guy. My vote would be for the Glenfarclas 21 or 25 if it is reasonable for you to get. Typically you can find the Glenfarclas 25 at prices less than the Balvenie 21 in my neck of the woods.

I do have a preference for the older versions of the Balvenie 21 compared to the newer releases.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacDeffe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am

Have you tried the Glenfarclas 15yr ?

I think its better than the 21 and its also cheaper than the 21

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Sir Dino » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 pm

morten300 wrote:I am counting on buying a new bottle of whisky to my (not too large) collection, and I'm thinking of buying either the 'Glenfarclas 21 YO' or 'Balvenie 21 YO Port Wood Finish'. I really like sherried and fullbodied whiskys, like 'Macallan 12 YO Sherry Cask' and 'Aberlour A'Bunadh', so I thought these two whiskys would be a good choice.

Glenfarclas is matured in Sherry cask all the time. The Balvenie is matured in American Oak (Bourbon casks) and then finished in Port Wood for some months. So the whiskies are totally different... :o
Glenfarclas is more a "Sherrymonster", the Balvenie 21 is more smooth, mellow, elegant...

If you prefer sherried whiskies, you must take the Glenfarclas. Or look for a Balvenie 17yo Sherry Cask like ODG said... But I think you wouldn't find a Balvenie Sherry 17yo under 120 EUR...

I would take the Balvenie 21... :wink:
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:01 pm

That's the thing... Two entirely different pours. If you're leaning toward something with greater refinement (not to mention those lovely fruit notes contributed by the Port cask finishing), then the Balvenie 21YO is definitely the way to go (despite its now rather hefty asking price). However, if a more 'traditional' Speyside malt with plenty of guts and just the right amount of 'heat' is what you are looking for, then Glenfarclas for sure.

Love both!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder