Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The new Glen Elgin 16YO CS

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Glen Elgin 16 Years Old

The new Glen Elgin 16YO CS

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Just curious if anyone has had the opportunity to taste the recent issue of Glen Elgin 16 Year Old Cask Strength (pictured in the link below) and, if so, what are your impressions of it?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-8962.aspx

My local specialty liquor outlet received a small allotment, and I'm seriously debating whether or not to spring for a bottle.

Thanks in advance to all respondents.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: The new Glen Elgin 16YO CS

Postby corbuso » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 pm

This is not a new, but an old one released in 2008. It a very smooth sherry and easy drinking Glen Elgin.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 am

Yeah, not new but it is a good sherried whisky, I like it a lot and amazingly it's still readily available at about the same price as it was when it was released in late '08. I bought a couple bottles of it when it was first released thinking that it would be sold out quickly but I guess the factor of an unknown distillery to most would put many off from buying this gem. Pity, great distillery!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi there,

the Glen Elgin 16yo is one of the special bottlings for the Friends of Classic Malts.

Many of those bottlings like Talisker 12yo, Caol Ila 12yo, Lagvulin 12yo dist. 1995 European Sherry Casks and so forth are sold in Germany Switzerland and Austria premarily.

http://www.malts-selection.ch/malts/emrge7/email.php

is a promotion still presented on the Swiss FOCM page.

The distillery depicted - is Glen Moray recently sold to La Martiniquaise by Moet Hennessy.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Went for a bottle.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm

I will try to taste it this week end again, if I find time, but I quite liked it. Very smooth and mellow, easy drinking and good value.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 am

My first three encounters have been very positive ones. There's a honeyed sweetness, to be sure. But it's the overall balance that most impresses me. Lots of clean, crisp oak and a gingery bite, too - even with the addition of a fair amount of still water (something I don't normally do with cask strength issues... I generally prefer to add little or no 'eau').

It would seem to me that a quite excellent melding of first and second-fill European oak (i.e. Sherry casks) has been carried out, thereby permitting the characteristics of the malt itself to shine through in relatively unincumbered fashion.

Liking this one a lot at the moment! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Glen Elgin 16 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder