Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

glenfiddich 12years

All your whisky related questions answered here.

glenfiddich 12years

Postby gptm32 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 am

hi !i have 2 bottles of 12y old glenfiddich and i think they are different but the guy in the liquor store told me that is the same thing is he right?
the first bottle is the new label of 12 y which has a description of taste like pear and subtle oak .the other one is also green as the first one but the label is as fallow: our signature malt
is matured in the finest Oloroso sherry & bourbon casks ..can anybody help me with this matter please? i,m trying to collect glenfiddich so i need to know if they are different in taste coz as labeling they about the same but not quite .i also have the old 12 y special reserve which i know is different. thank you in advance.peace out! :(
gptm32

Re: glenfiddich 12years

Postby jamiemilne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi gptm32,

I spotted your question and thought I should help you out as this is a great question - and one that confuses lots of people. But it's actually just a simple question of packaging changes.

From your descriptions, I think what you have are three examples of Glenfiddich 12yo, each in slightly different packaging.

The label with "Special Reserve" is the oldest packaging of your three bottles - this was discontinued in 2007.
The label with "description of taste like pear and subtle oak" is the next oldest packaging - running from 2007 to 2009.
The label with "Our Signature Malt" is the current labelling, since 2009.

Although the packaging is different in each case, the whisky in all three bottles is the same - and the subtle taste of pear and oak will be present in all of them!

The same principle applies to our other expressions. For example the 15yo, which used to be known as "Solera Reserve" - the packaging has changed, but the whisky is the same.

Hope this helps - and happy collecting! (look out Hans-Henrik Hansen, there's a budding new Glenfiddich collector out there!)

Slainte,
Jamie Milne
Glenfiddich Brand Ambassador (UK)
jamiemilne

Re: thanks a million Jamie

Postby gptm32 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

i,m actually very pleased with your answer and since i,m trying to build up a huge collection of glenfiddich i think that the different labeling should be part of it.thank u again and if u know any link or web about glenfiddich i will really appreciate if u could forward it to me. :D
gptm32

Postby jamiemilne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello again,

If you want to keep up with the latest on Glenfiddich, obviously one place is our own website: http://www.glenfiddich.com (or .co.uk, depending on where you are!).

Also on the site you'll find our Explorers section - sign up to that for a little more in-depth information on Glenfiddich, and to be part of a growing community of Glenfiddich fans. You'll find out more about the liquid, the packaging and other collectors.

Happy to help.

Slainte,
Jamie.
jamiemilne

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:13 pm

I'd like to thank Jaime for coming out here and answering the question. It is always nice to get the answer from the source.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Ganga wrote:I'd like to thank Jaime for coming out here and answering the question. It is always nice to get the answer from the source.

I agree. Thanks Jamie.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jamiemilne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 pm

More than welcome guys.
I've only recently taken up the role (as you'll remember from http://www.whiskymag.com, Willie) and I can't promise to spot and answer every question on the interweb, but I'll be keeping an eye out and will do what I can!

Slainte,
Jamie.
jamiemilne

Postby jamiemilne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Interesting that whiskymag replace links to anyone else's website with their own!

Jamie.
jamiemilne

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Not everyone else's websites Jamie. Just that one. I was hoping we might have got over that by now.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder