Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compass Box "Peat Monster"

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Compass Box "Peat Monster"

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:04 am

Hi all,

After jogging around the Compass Box website and watching their videos, this company appears to be making high quality and craft Scotch. I didn't realize it but the Peat Monster is bottled at 46% ABV and is non chill filtered. The gentlemen in the videos said that 2 Islays and 1 Speysider go into making the Peat Monster. Has anyone had this Scotch? If so, was it good? What is the flavor profile and body like? Also, does anyone know what the 3 magic malts used in the vatting are? On the label "Port Akaig" is mentioned as stated on the label of my Caol Ila 12. Compass Box might be trying to attract the wrong people with silly naming schemes if their Scotch is of high quality. Just my opinion.

-Pete
tuddy24

Re: Compass Box "Peat Monster"

Postby Holysinner » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:37 am

My understanding is the first batches were just Caol Ila and Ardmore, and since then they have added Laphroaig to the vatting. More on The Peat Monster here.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:40 am

I also recall hearing Caol Ila and Ardmore somewhere. . . seems to me it was a video but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. I'll have to see if I can come up with a source.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:30 am

This John Glaser seems like a first-rate and stand-up kind of guy. I liked his response to the gentlemen who indicated a problem with his bottle and urging him to return the bottle at John's expense. I remember having an issue with a Balvenie DW I bought and was basically blown off by their support center. I'll make sure I never buy another Balvenie product again.

Caol Ila, Laphroaig, and Ardmore sounds like a nice blend, I'm eager to give it a try! Thanks for all your responses!

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:14 am

Holysinner wrote:My understanding is the first batches were just Caol Ila and Ardmore, and since then they have added Laphroaig to the vatting.

This is my understanding as well.

I've not tasted the newer 3-malt melding. But the older blend incorporating Ardmore and Caol Ila was absolutely delicious!

Not over-the-top smoke by any means, but simply a very well-crafted balance between sweet malt and peat as well as a sage juggling of youth (still above ten years, mind you) and maturity (mid to upper teens).
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:32 am

I really like this whisky. Some people are put off when they find it's not quite as smoky as they envisioned; perhaps it's just a matter of the whisky being improperly named. People expect a Laphroaig-killer in terms of smoke and peat but what they find is something more balanced. It certainly is peaty, though, and great whisky in any case.

Now, it's possible they added Laphroaig in reponse to this impression and it truly is a peat monster in its latest incarnation.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Not a bad whiskey but not a "peat monster" by any stretch of the imagination. My favourite Compass Box whiskey is the Oak Cross. It reminds me of a Springbank 10 yr crossed with the Bruichladdich 16 yr bourbon. very tasty indeed.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 pm

I stood in the Scotch aisle of my local Binny's agonizing over which to pick: Caol Ila 12 or "Peat Monster". Well as I'm sure you're all aware, I went with the Caol Ila and don't regret it! It's much less peaty and smoky than I thought and loved the balance. Maybe one of these days when I'm rich I'll just buy them all. For now, I'm going to try and taste before I buy, it's less risky!
tuddy24

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder