Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Questions about The Famous Grouse 12yrs

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

Questions about The Famous Grouse 12yrs

Postby blacksabb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi everyone. I went out to buy a relatively modestly priced Scotch for drinking last weekend-unlike my continued collecting. I saw a clearance sale for The Famous Grouse 12yrs, which cost about the same as a JW Black Label. When I read the label, it stated that it was compromised of "fine single malts" such as Highland Park and Macallan. Upon reading that, I kind of assumed it was a vatted malt.

So I thought "what the Hell" and gave it a go. Sad to say, this is the second Scotch I've tasted that I didn't like. The first was that awful Glenrothes Select Reserve which had this bitterness to it. The Famous Grouse 12yrs however suffered from the opposite problem-sickly sweetness. I noticed too that the color was quite noticeably dark.

So a couple of questions. Is The Famous Grouse 12yrs a vatted malt? Does anyone know what the constituents of it are ? (apart from the mentioned Macallan and Highland Park). Is this Scotch heavily colored? I was also wondering whether the coloring content is significantly contributing to the overall sweetnes?

I would especially welcome other people's opinion on this particular Scotch if they've sampled it.

Thanks.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Questions about The Famous Grouse 12yrs

Postby lockejn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 pm

I believe there are two 12y whiskies in the Famous Grouse range. One is in a green bottle, the other is a Gold Reserve in a clear, "chunky" bottle. To my understanding, both are blends. I think there is one vatted malt in the range, but it has no age statement.

I'm pretty sure the core profile also includes Glenrothes, but beyond those big three I'm not sure what else might be in the bottle.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 am

From what I remember, there is blends (malt and grain whiskies) and blended malts (many different malt whiskies) in the Famous Grouse range. Not sure which one you bought but if you post up a picture we can probably figure it out.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductList.a ... 2bmatchall

3rd bottle down is the blended malt.

http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/ls/en/sh ... p?p=600211

I believe this is the Gold Reserve which is a blend.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:39 am

Sabb,

For a good value and IMO quality blend try BNJ(Bailie Nicol Jarvie)

You can buy this at Dan Murpheys for 35 bucks. Also and BWS for about $38.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Collector57 wrote:Caramel colouring would add bitterness not sweetness, blacksabb

Oops! I didn't know that. I just think "caramel"-you know. Caramel as in sweet. That's why you're around here Nick to correct ignoramuses like me. :)
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 am

I know I'm a little late to this thread but I would just like to clarify that the Famous Grouse 12 year old in the green bottle is a vatted malt. If you look at the label it should read "Pure malt whisky" or something to that effect. I would assume it is coloured though I don't know about "heavily". It is a sweet whisky to be sure but I think it is fantastic and one of the greatest values of the Scotch whisky world. As to what else is in it, I have no good information on that I'm afraid.

I've also tried the Famous Grouse 18 and 30 year old vatted malts, the standard blend and the Black Grouse blend with Islay malt. I think they are all wonderful and the 30 year old is unreal. It also costs a third of what most other Scotches, including blends, cost at that age. Too bad you didn't enjoy the 12 year old. It's a pity they don't sell it in Ontario anymore.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 am

The FG 30yrs is an all-time favorite of mine.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Doug1937 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I just paid $36 for a bottle of TFG 12 years (green bottle) and was quite surprised. The first bottle of the unaged TFG was good, but the second didn't impress me, so I was hesitant to buy the 12 year, but I took a chance and did.

I finished the entire bottle in about 4 nights.

D*amn, that was some of the best scotch I've ever had. NO BURN at all, totally smooth and warming. Freakin' delicious stuff.

I'd buy another one but there are so many other expressions calling my name...not the least of which is TFG 15 year. 8)
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder