Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GLASGOW'S WHISKY FESTIVAL

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

GLASGOW'S WHISKY FESTIVAL

Postby toshie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Whisky lovers from all over Scotland will be heading to Glasgow in November for the city's first dedicated whisky festival.Two whisky enthusiasts are behind the plan to launch Glasgow's Whisky Festival.
Mark Connelly, of whisky whisky whisky dot com - one of Europe's largest online whisky forums, and whisky writer Bill Mackintosh, chairman of Glasgow's Whisky Club, have been working for the best part of a year to put the event together.
It will be held at the atmospheric Arches, beneath Glasgow Central Station, on Saturday, November 13, from 1pm to 5pm. There will be a trade-only preview from noon.
Some of the biggest names in whisky making will be present, along with some of the smallest, showcasing the diversity and quality of the whisky-making craft. Distilleries from across Scotland, as well as some from India, Ireland, Japan,and the US, will be exhibiting their wares.
Interest in the festival has been building online at whisky whisky whisky dot com, Facebook and Twitter, and has already attracted whisky aficionados from across Europe, as well as the UK.
Some 500 enthusiasts will be able to attend and enjoy samples from some of the best-known distilleries in the world.There will also be two Master Classes, details of which will be announced nearer the time.
Mark Connelly said: "It has long been a dream of mine to give Glasgow a whisky festival it deserves and Glasgow's Whisky Festival will be purely about the whisky; no sideshows, no distractions, simply an enjoyable afternoon sipping a dram."
Bill Mackintosh added: "This is a fantastic opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the biggest names in whisky, but I am delighted there will be so many of the smaller, independent, distillers and bottlers attending as well."
Tickets, priced £15 each are on sale from the Arches Box Office on 0141 565 1000 or online at http://www.thearches.co.uk A booking fee will be applied.
toshie
Bronze Member

Re: GLASGOW'S WHISKY FESTIVAL

Postby toshie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:47 pm

All the tables have been sold for Glasgow's Whisky Festival on November 13, and there is now a waiting list. The master classes will be given by Douglas Laing and Compass Box. Tickets go on sale at 9am on Saturday, October 2 by phone or in person from the Arches box office.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 pm

toshie wrote:for the city's first dedicated whisky festival

LOL :insane:

Word of the day - 'spurious'
Matt2

Postby toshie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

Good word though Matt. Dedicated, that is. Though spurious is kinda cool too :wink:
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Is anyone thinking of going, I've been considering taking a trip to scotland for a while now (its been 2 years and I'm feeling some withdrawl) and this might be a good weekend to go.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm going.

The event should be very well attended.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby DavidUK » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm travelling up from Essex for this and then doing a week long whisky trip along the North East coast
DavidUK

Postby MacDeffe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm Going

Havent been to Bon Accord for a while and thought I could warm up at a whisky festival

/MAcdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:43 am

Plan to.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Well the plans are in the works to go to Scotland, leaving the 10th of Nov and still havn't decided how long I want to stay I have the whole next week off for vacation so I can make it as long as I like, what I'm wondering is how the distillery tours are this time of year, every trip I have taken in the past was either spring or summer, I have been lucky and have had unnusually good weather every time. I'm kinda looking forward to the cold rain/snow weather that makes scotch what it is. I was actually thinking of a a day or two on Islay but not sure how travel is there that time of year, I will most likely take the ferry so i have a car and that way I can take a trip down to Campbeltown if I like. Also thinking of going up to Orkney to see Highland Park, Any help with Scotland in Nov will be great.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby DavidUK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm

lbacha wrote:Well the plans are in the works to go to Scotland, leaving the 10th of Nov and still havn't decided how long I want to stay I have the whole next week off for vacation so I can make it as long as I like, what I'm wondering is how the distillery tours are this time of year, every trip I have taken in the past was either spring or summer, I have been lucky and have had unnusually good weather every time. I'm kinda looking forward to the cold rain/snow weather that makes scotch what it is. I was actually thinking of a a day or two on Islay but not sure how travel is there that time of year, I will most likely take the ferry so i have a car and that way I can take a trip down to Campbeltown if I like. Also thinking of going up to Orkney to see Highland Park, Any help with Scotland in Nov will be great.

Len

If you have a hire car, then you can pretty much go anywhere. Public transport in the more remote parts of Scotland takes some planning to ensure you are where you want to be on a given day as you don't want to waste your vacation time.

I'm also going to be touring round distilleries (public transport) after the whisky festival and have a rough idea of which distilleries I want to visit on which days. Nearer the time I will phone all the ones I am considering visiting to check they 1) will be open and 2) to see if they offer a fill your own or distillery only bottling. I intend to catch a bus from Glasgow to Aberdeen, then make my way along the Aberdeen-Inverness-Tain railwayand will visit five out of Glen Garioch,Glendronach(definately),Glen Moray,Benromach,Glen Ord,Dalmore,Glenmorangie,Tomatin.

The cost of taking a car to Islay is around £120 return. Foot passengers go far cheaper although bear in mind public transport on Islay is limited although if you stayed in Port Ellen you could hire a cycle and ride to Laphroiag,Lagavulin and Ardbeg very easily. If you are not adverse to thumbing a lift, I'm sure you wouldn't have to wait long on Islay to get a ride if there wasn't a convienent bus.

It's difficult to gauge the weather, but the west side of Scotland shouldn't have any problem with really cold/icey conditions at that time of year, although the north/north-east COULD be cold/icey.

A drive from Campbeltown to Orkney is a pretty long way. Have a look on the AA website for the route and an estimate of how long this might take.

Hopefully see you at the festival.
DavidUK

Postby lbacha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:12 pm

I've been all over Scotland during the spring and summer and plan on hiring a car like I normally do, one of the few distilleries I havn't visited is Highland Park and I'm considering taking a trip there. Definitly keep in touch and you are more than welcome to catch a ride with me since I plan on heading north after the festival, My big question mark at this point is do I take the trip to Islay or not, I really would like to have a dram while watching a cold weatherfront come in on Islay but I plan on coming back next year in the spring so I may just go hit up Bladnoch and some southern sights instead. Keep in touch I plan on arriving Thur morn the 11th and staying about a week or so.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby toshie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Tickets for Glasgow's Whisky Festival master classes are now on sale at the Arches box office - 0141 565 1000 - or, if you're in the town shopping, just pop in. The classes are Douglas Laing and Compass Box, and tickets are £15 each.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby toshie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:52 pm

The Festival is now a complete sell out. The last tickets were sold this afternoon and we are awaiting confirmation that the final table has also been sold. It's gonna be a good one!
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:12 pm

toshie wrote:It's gonna be a good one!

I do believe you're right :D
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:47 pm

I'll be there to ruin things thou !

/steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 pm

On the contrary its always good to have folk around that will want to go for a drink afterwards. :D
Willie JJ

Postby DavidUK » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Willie JJ wrote:On the contrary its always good to have folk around that will want to go for a drink afterwards. :D

Would that likely be in the Bon Accord?
DavidUK

Postby MacDeffe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm

I'd like to go to Bon Accord, will most likely check it out in a healthier state friday, noone knows what happens saturday, I wonder if any pubs will hosts us after a whisky festival ? :coffee:

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:41 am

I may be there Thur and Fri night havn't decided might spend one night in Edinburg.. Hard to pass up the Bon Accord it was alot of fun last time I was there...

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 am

I'll be sitting in with Jolly Toper on the thursday

The agenda is a bit alternative :-)

Millstone 01.2000 - 06.2009 8yo 43% American oak (Holland)
Kilbeggan 15yo 40% blend (Ireland)
Weidenauer diukelwalz 42% (Austria)
Eddu Silver ble noir 40% (France)
+ 2 others probably from India, Japan or U.S.A.

http://www.jollytopertastings.co.uk/whi ... ing-dates/
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am

MacDeffe, can I advertise the A. A. Hirsch you were going to bring as part of the line up? If so the last spot will either be one of the new Amruts or a peated Hakusha.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 am

Yes, thats fine :-)

and put in the Hakushu, I tasted all the Amruts :-) and they are great

I didnt taste the new Amrut 100, supposed to be great as well, but I doubt it will be until late November

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm

MacDeffe wrote:I'll be sitting in with Jolly Toper on the thursday

I'll be there of course

jmrl wrote:the A. A. Hirsch you were going to bring

:shock: :D
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 pm

DavidUK wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:On the contrary its always good to have folk around that will want to go for a drink afterwards. :D

Would that likely be in the Bon Accord?

It's a distinct possibility. We can discuss on the day. Assuming survival of the event of course :D
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:23 pm

MacDeffe wrote:I wonder if any pubs will hosts us after a whisky festival ? :coffee:

Steffen

I'm sure I don't know what you mean :wink:
Willie JJ

Postby lbacha » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am

Well I have the week off, a flight, a car and a hotel booked in Glasgow, I'm ready for the festival. Now all I have to do is plan my distillery visits and I'll be set.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 pm

JustMatt wrote:LOL someone has just told me they sorted out a ticket for me. Will be coming down to drink as much free whisky as I can (I assume there are no resritctions, tokens or vouchers) then puke it all over the floor. Hope theres something good on offer and not just the usual standard ranges, that would be boring...

:iwbrnt:

I'm sure that with such a mature, sophisticated attitude you are bound to have a great time and make many friends amongst the other attendees.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby toshie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 pm

JustMatt wrote:LOL someone has just told me they sorted out a ticket for me. Will be coming down to drink as much free whisky as I can (I assume there are no resritctions, tokens or vouchers) then puke it all over the floor. Hope theres something good on offer and not just the usual standard ranges, that would be boring...

:iwbrnt:

Matt: I am instructing door staff tomorrow morning that you are to be refused admission. That is the most disgraceful post I have ever seen and I assure you that you are not welcome at Glasgow's Whisky Festival.
Bill Mackintosh
Co-organiser
Glasgow's Whisky Festival
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:51 pm

Ok lets consider this a warning to all or this thread will be locked. I will not tolerate excessive bad mouthing of our shows, other peoples' show or the magazine and its staff. Constructive criticism is one thing, as is a healthy discussion.

JustMatt - stop it. While not the worst post in existence, it could be considered a breach of our terms and conditions and a continuation will get you banned.

Collector - we always have a policy of responsible drinking at our show worldwide and do not condone drinking to excess. Hence in London and Glasgow we do not operate a free pour system and employ vouchers. I resent the implication that we do not. And yes the Drinkaware campaign is supported by us. Check the panel next to the Editor's column in the mag.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby ingoodspirits » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 am

I am really looking forward to this event today. It looks like it will be up there with Whisky Fringe in my festival calendar.
ingoodspirits

Postby toshie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 am

A *wonderful* day yesterday. Some of the best drams around and a great venue. Our thanks to everyone who made it such a fantastic success. Visitors and exhibitors alike said it was among the best whiskyfests they had ever been to!
Tickets for GWF2 go on sale from the Arches on December 1. :iwbrnt:
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 am

I didn't have a poor pour all day, the organisation was spot on. Congratulations Mark and Bill, the Arches and the whisky companies. :coffee:
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby ingoodspirits » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:17 pm

I agree with the posts above. It was an excellent day in a perfect venue.
ingoodspirits

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:35 pm

The Festival on Saturday was really excellent. While having a pre-event KFC with daughter no.2 (her first whisky festival) we were tracked down by Ras Mazunga and Whiskybase founder Bachess who had come from the Netherlands for the event. From there we headed over to The Arches and immediately ran into a host of forum friends and other friends from Glasgow's Whisky Club. The sense of anticipation as we waited for the doors to open was tangible. There was no disappointment when the doors opened. The venue was ideal. The Arches, underneath the tracks of Central Station, offered a really intimate feel that despite the 550 or so festival goers never felt very crowded. And the range of whiskies on offer was liver trembling with 40+ stalls ranging from the well established big companies to the new guys such as Abhain Dearg (amazing stuff) and the Tweeddale Blend (a lovely drop). Plenty of independent bottlers too with Signatory, Douglas Laing, Adelphi, Duncan Taylor, A D Rattray, Master of Malt, Vintage, Creative, Compass Box Gordon & MacPhail and Wemyss. There were even world whiskies in the shape of Amrut, Four Roses and Lark. Faced with such variety we were able to do little more than dip in and try interesting drams and enjoy the convivial atmosphere with lots of friends old and new. The time passed incredibly quickly and I felt we had done litle more than scratch the surface when last pour was called. Fortunately we were able to carry on the fun in the pub afterwards, although our intention to meet up with Ras, Bachess and MacDeffe in the Bon Accord later was thwarted by the sudden realisation that it was already 10.00pm and we needed to get the train. All in all it was a fantastic day and well done to Mark, Bill and the GWC guys who made it happen. Looking forward to next year already. :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Next

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder