Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Glenlivet 18 year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Glenlivet 18 year old

Postby supersinglemalts » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 am

Has anyone tried this?

I have just taken a look at it following my look at the 15 year old French Oak Reserve. I have to say I think I prefer the 15 year old side by side, though neither touches the Highland Park 18 I am afraid.

More of my thoughts are on my blog, link below.
supersinglemalts

Re: The Glenlivet 18 year old

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I quite like the 18YO Glenlivet... It's a slightly more subtle whisky than the 15YO French Oak Reserve, to be sure. And its pervasive sweetness (that possesses a rather fruity quality) tends to make the malt 'slide under the radar' at times. Lovely, nonetheless. I find the 15YO FOR bolder and, perhaps, ultimately more exciting. But when in the mood for something contemplative and gently satisfying, the 18YO scores highly for me.

Of course, neither matches the brilliance of the cask strength 16YO Nàdurra as far as I'm concerned.
:wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Ok, I guess I will have to do a 'livet flight on Thursday night. Will give some thoughts on the newer bottlings and some older bottlings. As I recall there are tucked away a 12 and 18 from around 10 years ago and current releases of the same. If I find some other ones around, I will include these as well.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby supersinglemalts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

The Third Dram wrote:Of course, neither matches the brilliance of the cask strength 16YO Nàdurra as far as I'm concerned.

This is on my list to get a bottle of, it is on offer in Waitrose at £29.99 from the 14th April till 11th May, hurrah!

I quite like the 18YO Glenlivet... It's a slightly more subtle whisky than the 15YO French Oak Reserve, to be sure. And its pervasive sweetness (that possesses a rather fruity quality) tends to make the malt 'slide under the radar' at times. Lovely, nonetheless. I find the 15YO FOR bolder and, perhaps, ultimately more exciting. But when in the mood for something contemplative and gently satisfying, the 18YO scores highly for me.

I have to agree with those sentiments.

Ok, I guess I will have to do a 'livet flight on Thursday night.

Have fun!
supersinglemalts

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 am

Sorry, long day so I decided that enjoying some malts tonight would be good. See notes here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6215&p=236364#p236364

I found I rather preferred the newer versions when peer to peer comparison is done. The 18 yos more than the 12 yos. All are good to very good, subtle compared to Highland Park.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

The Third Dram wrote:Of course, neither matches the brilliance of the cask strength 16YO Nàdurra as far as I'm concerned.

This

I quite like the 18yr Livet very much but for a few dollars less the 16 yr Nadurra is a far superior dram.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 am

Glenlivet 18 is a great scotch with a few drops of water.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Wed May 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I have to say that I'm a big fan of the 18 year old. It's one of the staples of my whisky collection. I even have to say that I prefer it to the 21 year old.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Maccy » Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 pm

I keep finding threads relating to my unopened bottles - Looks like i will have to pop open another one. :lol:
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Reading and posting to this thread last night, inspired me not only to have a couple of generous drams of it but to also add it as my latest review. http://www.thewhiskywire.com/2010/05/gl ... glass.html
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Piero » Wed May 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi guys, I'm new round here.

I picked up the Nàdurra recently on offer from Waitrose and I have to agree its an amazing dram. It changed my mind about Glenlivet which I have to say I'd previously viewed as a bit of a "pub" whisky having only tried the 12 year old.

I wish more proprietary whiskies were released at cask strength - maybe distillers should release two versions of their bottlings. I think you lose a lot of the flavour with lower strength whiskies and even a healthy drop of water added to a cask strength version just before you drink it doesn't mute the flavour as much - sometimes quite the opposite.
Piero

Postby Maccy » Mon May 24, 2010 6:19 am

I opened a bottle of Glenlivet 18 the other day. I think that I was reminded about it having previously read this thread.

My thoughts:

I did not find it overpowering on the nose - subtle with a hint of hazelnut?

Quite thick with long legs around the glass. I watched it for some time and thought the texture was rich and the colour a beautiful deep mahogony.

The richness I detected was immediately apparent in the mouth with a very floral and fruity headline, slightly sweet but not too much so. Underneath, the nuttiness returns amid a very pleasant maltiness.

Clever, subtle finish which I found both refreshing and fulfilling.

A lovely single malt.

I wanted another but will savour it on a different day!:thumbsup:
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Nice notes, Maccy. I tried this stuff last night for the first time and was mighty impressed. Rich and full with some ripe fruit and toffee cream, and a chocolatey texture. Very nice.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Maccy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Cheers Megawatt - I enjoyed this a lot.
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Tue May 25, 2010 1:41 am

I was visiting a friend who bought a litre of this at the Duty Free. He isn't much of a connoiseur and thinks nothing of drinking it straight from the bottle if the mood strikes him. He was pouring quadruple shots for any willing guest, so I drank my quadruple and helped a few others with theirs. I don't remember the rest of the night so well :dead:
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder