Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 Year Old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 Year Old

Postby Doug1937 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Is this being discontinued? It's not available in most places I've looked. I found a single bottle in one store and bought it, planning to leave it unopened until it's worth quite a bit. But yesterday I just found a different store that has 3 bottles of it.

Is this expression worth collecting? I loved the other Balvenies I've tried (DW & 15 year). If it's not being discontinued then it's not really worth bothering to collect. If it's not a tasty dram then that's another reason not to bother.

I've never tried it and I want to, but I don't want to open this one just yet. I did that with a Bowmore Darkest NAS and have regretted it (didn't think of keeping it in reserve until too late).

Of course, the Bowmore Darkest NAS wasn't excellent, so I'm not sure I missed much by not keeping it in reserve. But I think that expression is being discontinued as well, right?
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Re: Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 Year Old

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Well the FR 10 is already discontinued. The fact you found 3 bottles in a store near you is amazing. I have been unable to find it around here for at least 6 months. It is a very tasty dram. There have been many on this forum who say the dw is better and many who say the fr is better. i like them both in their different ways.

On the collector's side of things I am not sure. I don't collect. I drink. Maybe someone else can give you some thoughts on collecting
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby mondem99 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

I had two of the these and opened both of them when I was celebrating my ten year wedding anniversay last year. The nose is very impressive, you can just pour it and leave it there for the aroma to fill the room;quite sweet as well. One of my biggest regrets for opening them since I can't find it anywhere else.
mondem99

Postby The Third Dram » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 am

Doug1937 wrote:Is this expression worth collecting?

If you're planning to drink it, then the answer is certainly, "Yes!" :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sir Dino » Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am

I think it's not worth to collect except you're collecting Balvenie... :wink:

What kind of bottle is it?
Is it the old Founder's Reserve in the cognac style bottle or the "new" one (since 1993)?
The new FR cost about 30 EUR a few years ago. Today you'll get one on Ebay for about 40 EUR...
The old bottle is today about 100 - 130 EUR and interesting to collectors.

But the FR is definitely worth to drink! :thumbsup: I love it!
Especially the old FR is a lovely dram... Smooth, much more sherry influence than the new one...
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby Dubois » Fri May 14, 2010 11:15 am

I don't collect...I drink & enjoy
Very hard to find, so if you see it, grab it !
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Sat May 15, 2010 6:10 am

Still on plenty of shelves here. I have one opened and one closed so I'm not in a rush to buy another... I don't see it appreciating much in value - but who knows. I'm of like mind with Sir Dino here... drink up!
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Doug1937 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:23 am

I gave in and opened it. Not bad at all...quite tasty, in fact, especially the 2nd dram. :P However, I did think it was a bit rough, at least compared to the 15 year old single barrel, or even the 12 year old. Definitely could use a bit more aging. I guess I can better understand now why it was discontinued.
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Doug1937 wrote:I gave in and opened it. Not bad at all...quite tasty, in fact, especially the 2nd dram. :P However, I did think it was a bit rough, at least compared to the 15 year old single barrel, or even the 12 year old. Definitely could use a bit more aging. I guess I can better understand now why it was discontinued.

I too found it a little rough compared to its older siblings, however, that did not stop me from polishing off the rather quickly and enjoying every sip.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:42 am

It has certainly dissappeared from the shelves in these parts. I don't see much Doublewood either. Plenty of Signature though.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder