Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tasting order tips

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tasting order tips

Postby StonK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:21 pm

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to come over for an informal tasting. It's not arranged in any special way, it's just a rally round his home bar (which might lead to some strange mix-ups of different spirits). The inventory goes like:

Drumguish (young and imo boring but maybe good to have to point out differences)
Cardhu SM 12
Balvenie Double Wood 12
Old Pulteney 12
Aberlour Vintage 1990
Bowmore 12
Knob Creek bourbon 9y

I am wondering which of these we should try, in what order, and if we should add something to it (if there are ways we could get a cool experience throughout the test by buying some missing link into it). If anyone wants to suggest a testing order it will be highly appreciated :)

Myself, I could go for the Balvenie and stay with it all night, but that's just me ;)
StonK

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 pm

If you're thinking of going from lightest flavour to strongest I think you hit it bang on, however I have not tried the Knob Creek. And don't be so hard on Drumguish, they only started distilling in 1991 so the whisky is fairly young and I'm sure in a few years it will improve.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby SasquatchMan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:47 am

Those are for the most part pretty staunch drinks... you won't find that one is vastly more powerful than another, i don't think... So order shouldn't really be all that big of a concern. I would have lots of water on hand to clear you palates with between drinks, and go to 'er... nice selection.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:45 am

I agree with Lawrence - I think the order you listed them in is perfect. Whatever you do decide, the Knob Creek is best left until last, due to (a) It's higher alcohol content, and (b) It's the only bourbon, and will contrast against the scotches. Also, in terms of maturation, a 9yo bourbon matured in Kentucky is about the equivalent of a 17yo or 20yo malt matured in Scotland, so you're also leaving the "oldest" until last!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder