Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Midleton Very Rare 1984 & others

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : Midleton Very Rare

Midleton Very Rare 1984 & others

Postby NicoVictor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Hello,

I received my grandpa's heritage, which is mostly composed by Irish whiskey. I'm not sure about selling them because I'm thinking about starting some kind of collection but I would be interested to know the value of his bottles.
- The first one is a Midleton Very Rare 1984, unopened in perfect condition with the box and the cetificates.

- Then I have 4 unopened bottles of Midleton reserve bought in the seventies-eighties:
"Midleton Reserve
blend control no.107-1
specialy blended rare whisky
70% proof - 26 2/3 fluid oz's
Distilled and bottled by irish distillers limited."

- The last bottle is a bottle of "Redbreast Rare Old Irish Whiskey, Matured in wood for 12 years, 1U.S Quart 86' U.S. Proof" also bought in the seventies-eighties.

Thank you, i would really appreciate if someone could give me some information :)
NicoVictor

Re: Midleton Very Rare 1984 & others

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am

Happy to help.

The first question is ... Are you planning to sell most/all the bottles or keep them?

If you are keeping them ... Kep th
upright and out of sun light.

If you are selling ... Then I need to know where in the world you live?

The location will determine what advice I can give.

Christopher
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Brgreat5 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi there NicoVictor,

Firstly a few pictures will help with the identification, I should be able to give you information on your bottles. Firstly your dates seem broadly correct c. 1975-1985 for your bottles which I am familiar with. The Redbreast will probably need a picture to pinpoint exactly.

The bottles you have a relatively scarce and would make a good start to an Irish Whiskey collection.

PM me directly or reply here on this thread.

Also http://www.irishwhiskeysociety.com is another forum I am a member of which you should get good feedback from.
Brgreat5

Postby NicoVictor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

First, thank you for your answers :)

I'm planning to sell them, I will probably keep one bottle of Midleton reserve as a souvenir. I'm not experienced enough to taste properly this kind of bottles :? I live in Belgium in Brussels, I hope it is not a problem.

I made a little serie of pictures of my bottles, I've put them on Picasa web : http://picasaweb.google.be/106715483539 ... 9/Whiskey#
NicoVictor

Postby Brgreat5 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi there the Midleton 1984 was released in November 1985, and should have a good market. Check http://www.whiskyauction.com history

The Redbreast dates from 1978-1980 from my own research, and can still be found from time to time.

The Midleton Reserve was introduced in February 1971 and was available at least until the mid 70s if not slightly later, and it wasn't a very expensive blend, although the bottles are hard to come buy these days.

Values are difficult at the moment, as the market for Irish Whiskey is depressed and there are a very small number of collectors compared to scotch.

My best estimates are Midleton 84 @ €350+ have previously seen higher.
The Redbreast €150+ and the Midleton Reserve €150+.

Your best options are probably ebay or WhiskyAuction.com

PM me and let me know what your plan to do as I know a few collectors in Ireland.
Brgreat5

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I just happened to be passing Nick :wink: :thumbsup:

Anyway BRGREAT has pretty much covered it.

As your in Belgium your best bet would be to get them over to whiskyauction.com in germany if you can. They will probably realise the best prices there rather than on Ebay.

The bottles are in excellent condition so that is a major plus. However as brgreat has mentioned the Irish WHiskey collectors market has taken a battering of late.

You 1984 could possibly make less than €300 but hopefully should make it's 300+ amount. The first Midleton Reserve you sell could possibly make over 200Euro but each subsequent bottle will make less. This is not a super premium whiskey but would of been one of the better ones of it's day so don't be expecting it to be an amazing whiskey so don't be afraid to open and enjoy with out impunity. :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby NicoVictor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Well thank you , I have my answer now :)
I will maybe sell one Midleton reserve or so , and maybe the Midleton 1984, then keep the other ones for big occasions!
NicoVictor

Postby Brgreat5 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:10 pm

The Redbreast would be worth opening, as it probably has whiskies older than 12 years old. As the bottlers Gilbey's were by this time no longer being supplied by the Jameson Bow Street distillery, therefore they had to use older and older stocks, by the time stocks ran out the later bottlings had some whiskeys in it that were described as being a bit tired and woody.
Jameson eventually bought out the brand.

PS I you decide to sell a Midleton Reserve let me know cheers
Brgreat5

Postby adogranonthepitch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Whiskyauction.com
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Midleton Very Rare

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder