Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore 12

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cragganmore 12

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Any observations concerning the above expression?
Rufus Skytrousers

Re: Cragganmore 12

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 am

Yes, I'm not really fond of it.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 am

And now for a contrary opinion. . . I think it's great. I reviewed it here: http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot.com/2009/09/cragganmore-12-yr-old-single-malt.html
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 am

I have only had the one bottle of this. It opened up a lot after the first half of the bottle was drunk. Quite complex I'd say.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 pm

The nose of this whisky just has to be one of the most enticing in all of Speyside. It's almost as though one were walking in the hills above the river, what with all of those floral, vegetal, mineral suggestions enhancing the gently honeyed malt core.

Take your time with it. :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks folks, I'm in two minds as to whether I should buy a full bottle or just try a 20cl "taster" .

I'm primarily a Islay fan, but spreading wings is a good idea I reckon.

mmm! Will be making an order friday, will ponder till then methinks.
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:22 am

I really like the Cragganmore 12. Floral, peaches, etc. Very enjoyable but not in your face. I just wish it was bottled at 46% abv.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Maccy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:46 pm

My previous posting of this whisky - I like it.

A Cragganmore 12.

I savoured this whisky for a long time and then had another.

A lovely golden colour with no more than a medium body. I swished it about to release the aromas.

On the nose it was not overpowering - more fruits than flowers with orangey and lemony notes. Delicate. I was definitely thinking of being in the countryside on summer's day sipping this as an aperitif.

A bit more muscle on the palate - a splash of pepper, a kick of sweetness and then the fruitiness returns. Just possibly a hint of nuts, maybe roasted almonds and a touch of the cask.

At 40% it does not beat you into submission, but gently caresses you towards the bottle for a second helping .

This bottle is going down fast - you just have to have two!

:iwbrnt:
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:11 am

johan brugge wrote:Yes, I'm not really fond of it.

Johan, do you like any scotch that doesn't have peat? :P
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm not overly fond of Cragganmore (the exception was a cask strength bottling). I do not find flavors or aromas that are objectionable; rather the opposite in fact. It comes down to the fact that the finish is so short.

And before Sean asks, Yes I like whiskies without peat and also without sherry. Although having both is really good too. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 am

It's a good , enjoyable dram, but not a "great" IMO
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Here's another vote for the Cragganmore 12. A decent whisky which imo has one particular strength; a very well integrated oak character. Fruity and nice but maybe too "bland" for the peat and/or sherry freaks.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks again everyone.

I have ordered, but have gone for the 20cl bottle.Just to be cautious. I tend to take more chances with Islay's , being a bit of a peat monster, but, we will see.

My order comprised , Talisker DE (love it) Talisker 10 (one of the very best "basic" expressions.) Bunnahabhain 12 , Lagavulin 12 , Old Raj 55% gin , Plymouth Navy Gin 57% and of course the Cragganmore.

Still waiting on my Laphroaig Cairdeas, and hoping my daughter can get me Celp from the duty free .

Interesting times coming :)
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:26 am

Rufus Skytrousers wrote:Thanks again everyone.

I have ordered, but have gone for the 20cl bottle.Just to be cautious. I tend to take more chances with Islay's , being a bit of a peat monster, but, we will see.

My order comprised , Talisker DE (love it) Talisker 10 (one of the very best "basic" expressions.) Bunnahabhain 12 , Lagavulin 12 , Old Raj 55% gin , Plymouth Navy Gin 57% and of course the Cragganmore.

Still waiting on my Laphroaig Cairdeas, and hoping my daughter can get me Celp from the duty free .

Nice order Rufus, hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think about it when you get it.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 am

Rufus Skytrousers wrote:Thanks again everyone.

A 20cl bottle was the safe bet. With anything smaller it becomes difficult to get to know the whisky enough to begin to judge. I too love Islay whiskies (save for a number of Bruichladdich bottles), but I'm not a fan of the Cragganmore 12 nor of the Cragg DE (both last tasted in 2006).

What year is your Laga 12?
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Quote:Ardbeg311:

A 20cl bottle was the safe bet. With anything smaller it becomes difficult to get to know the whisky enough to begin to judge. I too love Islay whiskies (save for a number of Bruichladdich bottles), but I'm not a fan of the Cragganmore 12 nor of the Cragg DE (both last tasted in 2006).
What year is your Laga 12?End Quote:

I very much agree regarding the 20cl bottles. I'm just sampling Talisker 10 , 18 and DE . Initially I thought the DE the less good of the 3, however after a couple of tastings, I'm finding it a real hit. To me, at least equal , if not slightly the better of the other 2 superb expressions. Hence it being part of my order. (already have a fullbottle of 10 , and 18 is for the future) The cost of the smaller bottles certainly help scope for experiment.

I tend to risk Islay malts if there is no smaller bottlings, but are wary of bottlings from other places. Nothing worse than buying a £40/50 malt and being underwhelmed by it.

The Laga 12 was bottled last year, it just slips in under the £60 limit I have , as a bottle limit. Will be interesting to see how it squares up to Corryvrecken. :thumbsup:
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby AVB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 pm

If it really matters, I liked it too in my review of 5 years ago. Still a staple in my collection.
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby MARS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm

I am a sherry freak but I really like the cragganmore 12 (exept one bottle who must have a serious production problem as it was very oaky and almost no taste).

But it's more a whisky to drink than anything else(I know, I know, all whisky are made to be drinked).

It is also really good with ice,tonic and coke. (really) :D

MARS
MARS

Postby Drammed » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I like it up until the finish. I think the smokey finish somehow detracts from the experience. I do enjoy smokey/peaty whiskeys but for whatever reason my taste buds do not like the smoke with the rest of the flavours in the Craggy 12.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Just as a follow up to this thread. The 20 cl bottle of Cragganmore 12 I had, has gone down the hatch!

So, my impressions? Quite favourable...Not an immense whisky, but pleasant and enjoyable. Seems to be dry tasting.

Will I buy it? Yes..I will, will be used as a change from Peaty monsters.Cost here in the Uk around £27 , a good scotch for kind of outlay.

Incidentally, I see there is also a Distillers Edition expression...anyone any experience of it?
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:32 am

Rufus Skytrousers wrote:Just as a follow up to this thread. The 20 cl bottle of Cragganmore 12 I had, has gone down the hatch!

So, my impressions? Quite favourable...Not an immense whisky, but pleasant and enjoyable. Seems to be dry tasting.

Will I buy it? Yes..I will, will be used as a change from Peaty monsters.Cost here in the Uk around £27 , a good scotch for kind of outlay.

Incidentally, I see there is also a Distillers Edition expression...anyone any experience of it?

Rufus skip the Cragganmore Distillers Edition and go with the the Cragganmore 1993 10yo that is at the Whisky Exchange. A much better whisky and only 15 more pounds (ok, that is quite a bit but it is significantly better). I like the regular 12 more than the DE and the 10 more than both of them. If you want I can post up some notes on the 10CS this weekend, just let me know.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks for that...I'd latched on to the DE as it seemed a relatively low cost way of trying another expression of a scotch I know I liked. I shall give it a miss.

I'll mull over the 10 yr old....it sounds very promising. I have to watch the pocket though.As you will have seen on another thread , I'm looking to compile an order...and the cost of the "certains" is already starting to look hefty.

Still, better to have more choice than less.

Thanks.
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby smn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:46 pm

It's interesting to see that the DE gets recommended against. I quite like the port finish, certainly more than the basic Cragganmore.
smn

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder