Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Monkey Shoulder

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Monkey Shoulder

Monkey Shoulder

Postby brummage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm

People rave over this vatted malt. However, I have to say that I wasn't that impressed.

I found the nose quite inviting with some fruitiness and vanilla and also a hint of oak. The taste was quite light and somewhat fruity (citrus) with some sweetness to it. However, I thought the finish was very short and not particularly pleasant. Overall not worthy of the amount of praise it appears to get imho.

Maybe it's me. :o
brummage

Re: Monkey Shoulder

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:04 pm

brummage wrote:Overall not worthy of the amount of praise it appears to get imho.

Maybe it's me. :o

Of course it's you. :wink:

Everyone's expectations and tastes will differ when it comes to whiskies. And this fact is particularly applicable when considering a spirit (like Monkey Shoulder) that's blended to appeal to a wider audience.

I've quite enjoyed Monkey Shoulder, finding it to be a very drinkable, well-put-together spirit. But that said, Monkey Shoulder should definitely not be compared in the same light as some of the more intense and characterful single malt whiskies. I find it, rather, to represent a quite easy going spirit with just enough complexity to lift it above the average pour.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Am I wrong? Isn't Monkey Shoulder created in batches that vary? Mind you I've never seen Monkey Shoulder on the shelves a way out West. Therefore one must ask, "Where is Monkey Shoulder distributed?"
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby brummage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 pm

The Third Dram wrote:Monkey Shoulder should definitely not be compared in the same light as some of the more intense and characterful single malt whiskies.

I suppose that's where I was going wrong. Because it is a vatted malt I was sort of assuming that Grants would have succeeded in concocting something really special. I set my sights too high.

If i'm going to choose an everyday dram, I actually prefer Grants Family Reserve in all honesty.
brummage

Postby pmcd » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 am

When I tried this, I noticed a distinct Bourbon influence. Would that make any sense?
pmcd

Postby kyorke1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:20 pm

I used to get Monkey Shoulder and Makers Mark mixed up for some reason and I may even have said to someone that Monkey Shoulder was a bourbon. Just trying to remember the taste of MS, I think a very vague similarity to a bourbon is possible.

MS to me? Meh. An ok every day dram.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby pmcd » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:47 am

I assumed that one (or more) of the malts in the vatting had spent some time in a bourbon cask. I just remember being particularly surprised that I could pick it out so clearly in a blend of 3!
pmcd

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 pm

I've not tried Monkey Shoulder , but I've seen a listing of the main malts (3) in its composition and I was not enthralled, cannot recall all but Glenfiddich was one.
To be honest , when something is so heavily marketed, I tend to be very sceptical.

Hot Tip? Vatted malt? Try Nikka All Malt.
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Thats the ones..you see its not going to be the good barrels they put in the blend though is it, or rather I'd be astonished if they did?

I've not heard of the 3rd either, but both expressions I've tried of Balvennie , seriously underwhelmed me , as did Fiddich. Obviously, some of the more expensive expressions may be good , but I tend to treat sceptically when the more basic expressions are less than exciting.

So thats why I've not tried Mky Shoulder . Especially when I can get Nikka all malt at near the same cost .

For those who have tried Nikka from the barrel, the all malt is similar, but nothing like as rich, but still a very very good whisky. Especially in that cost bracket. Just opinion.
Rufus Skytrousers

Related whiskies : Monkey Shoulder

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder