Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Loch Dhu

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Loch Dhu

Postby St.Peat » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:03 am

Hi, gang!

It looks like the black syrup has yet another life! Loch Dhu is available in 200ml bottles now ... here we go again!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

The Loch Dhu

Postby St.Peat » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:03 am

Hi, gang!

It looks like the black syrup has yet another life! Loch Dhu is available in 200ml bottles now ... here we go again!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:37 pm

Speaking of Loch Dhu ,how much is a regular bottle worth and is it still being produced? I have a bottle which I paid £30 for just before xmas and recently in London the same bottle was £130 in a reputable store.
cheers
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:37 pm

Speaking of Loch Dhu ,how much is a regular bottle worth and is it still being produced? I have a bottle which I paid £30 for just before xmas and recently in London the same bottle was £130 in a reputable store.
cheers
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:44 am

Hi Guys,

Loch Dhu is nothing more than a gimmick from the industry, I believe it's double charred, and lots and lots of caramel has been used.
I mean lets face it I have never seen a cask that can make such a "black" malt whisky, have you???
By the way to much money to spend on, I would rather give it to another bottle. But anyway it's a nice toy to have I believe...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:44 am

Hi Guys,

Loch Dhu is nothing more than a gimmick from the industry, I believe it's double charred, and lots and lots of caramel has been used.
I mean lets face it I have never seen a cask that can make such a "black" malt whisky, have you???
By the way to much money to spend on, I would rather give it to another bottle. But anyway it's a nice toy to have I believe...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ize » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:10 am

I dropped few lines at the other forum, but I'll drop here few too. Image

I could imagine that Loch Dhu is liked among people that like digestivos like Fernet Branca. Since I only drink Fernet Branca when it is a bet ... I would drink Loch Dhu once more if it is a bet, not otherwise. Image

I'm bretty sure that most of the taste (and colour) comes from caramel colour stuff that is burned up ...

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 08 April 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:10 am

I dropped few lines at the other forum, but I'll drop here few too. Image

I could imagine that Loch Dhu is liked among people that like digestivos like Fernet Branca. Since I only drink Fernet Branca when it is a bet ... I would drink Loch Dhu once more if it is a bet, not otherwise. Image

I'm bretty sure that most of the taste (and colour) comes from caramel colour stuff that is burned up ...

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 08 April 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby St.Peat » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:27 pm

I had that 200ml bottle of the Loch Dhu in my stash for purchase at The Whisky Shop, San Francisco, along with a few minis and a 375ml Dallas Dhu. It (LD) was $16, so I figured it wasn't a bad price, and I was happy to get home and give it a nose and a swallow.

I must have stayed in the store for over an hour, speaking with the clerk about a million different things, like music, Scotlands towns and churches, acoustics, Scottish heritage, and so on.

I had paid for everything, and my bags were behind the counter while I looked around one last time. I then found the Bush Pilot 13YO. No price. So, I asked about the price. That's where things got a bit un-fun.

The clerk rang the upstairs folk to check the price, and was told that he had undersold the Loch Dhu. The clerk said 'no problem, the gentleman is still here.'

Bad news ... the Loch Dhu's price in that shop, mind you, for a 200ml bottle, is $160, not $16.

I would love to have a taste of it, and experience it for myself, but if I am going to spend $160 on 200ml of whisky, why not go whole hog and spend the same per dram and go for a 750 of the Springbank Local Barley???!

Industry people -- your preciously low stocks of the Loch Dhu are a curiosity for me, but I won't be rumbled and tumbled into paying that kind of money for it.

Still stinging from the experience --
.... Image
ImageSt.Peat Image
.... Image

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 08 April 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby St.Peat » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:27 pm

I had that 200ml bottle of the Loch Dhu in my stash for purchase at The Whisky Shop, San Francisco, along with a few minis and a 375ml Dallas Dhu. It (LD) was $16, so I figured it wasn't a bad price, and I was happy to get home and give it a nose and a swallow.

I must have stayed in the store for over an hour, speaking with the clerk about a million different things, like music, Scotlands towns and churches, acoustics, Scottish heritage, and so on.

I had paid for everything, and my bags were behind the counter while I looked around one last time. I then found the Bush Pilot 13YO. No price. So, I asked about the price. That's where things got a bit un-fun.

The clerk rang the upstairs folk to check the price, and was told that he had undersold the Loch Dhu. The clerk said 'no problem, the gentleman is still here.'

Bad news ... the Loch Dhu's price in that shop, mind you, for a 200ml bottle, is $160, not $16.

I would love to have a taste of it, and experience it for myself, but if I am going to spend $160 on 200ml of whisky, why not go whole hog and spend the same per dram and go for a 750 of the Springbank Local Barley???!

Industry people -- your preciously low stocks of the Loch Dhu are a curiosity for me, but I won't be rumbled and tumbled into paying that kind of money for it.

Still stinging from the experience --
.... Image
ImageSt.Peat Image
.... Image

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 08 April 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:31 am

Good grief, what prices?! The bottle my friend bought via me (I ordered 12 bottles from Internet Whiskystore in Germany just recently) cost around 60€ (750ml) which less than 60$ (obviously Image ). And I would say even that is pricy concerning the experience it gave ... avoid it if possible. If you must try it out, buy 2cl in a bar or restaurant. Image

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 09 April 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:31 am

Good grief, what prices?! The bottle my friend bought via me (I ordered 12 bottles from Internet Whiskystore in Germany just recently) cost around 60€ (750ml) which less than 60$ (obviously Image ). And I would say even that is pricy concerning the experience it gave ... avoid it if possible. If you must try it out, buy 2cl in a bar or restaurant. Image

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 09 April 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 8:55 pm

Ize is right: Loch Dhu is very nasty indeed - probably the nearest whisky gets to Jeyes Fluid. I still have about half of a bottle a friend got me as a birthday present some years back. He's lucky I'm still talking to him. $160 a bottle is pretty steep for something outstanding - for that stuff it's insane.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 09, 2002 2:48 pm

Ize is right: Loch Dhu is very nasty indeed - probably the nearest whisky gets to Jeyes Fluid. I still have about half of a bottle a friend got me as a birthday present some years back. He's lucky I'm still talking to him. $160 a bottle is pretty steep for something outstanding - for that stuff it's insane.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 09, 2002 2:48 pm

If you bear in mind that Mannochmore, the malt that is in Loch Dhu is rotten as well, then you won't go far wrong.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm

I have been giving more thought to what "double charred" might mean. Could it be that the insides of the barrel were charred, and then lumps of charcoal were dropped in the barrel - or even ground charcoal. That would explain the particularly thin but burnt flavour. Image
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:43 am

I think this is a perfect mystery for Hamish Macbeth to solve -after all he looks after Loch Dubh.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jdiddy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:57 pm

It's funny..when my wife and I went to Scotland a few years ago, we met an older Scotsman at our hotel who we eneded up having drinks with and sharing stories. He told us a very lengthy storu of Loch Du and the history of it and how fantastc it was. (We had never heard of it) The next day, we went to the store looking for it and they laughed when we asked about it. They said it was a huge gimmick and artificially colored and awful. Funny how you just can't believe all you hear.
Jdiddy

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:24 pm

Jdiddy wrote: Funny how you just can't believe all you hear.

Agree entirely. I hope you put the shopkeeper straight.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder