Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan CS NAS versus Macallan CS 10yo

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan CS NAS versus Macallan CS 10yo

Postby charlano » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I bought a bottle of Macallan CS NAS lately and I noticed that there are 2 CS expression in Macallan's sherry matured range. The NAS and the 10yo. What is the difference between the two ? The website of Macallan only seems to show the 10yo cask strength. Even where I bought it, they state it as being the 10yo CS in their inventory, which is not.

Is there any difference, or is it just a label change ?

charlano

Re: Macallan CS NAS versus Macallan CS 10yo

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 am

There may be little or no difference between the two. It is my understanding the the Eurofolks get the 10 yo and that North America gets the NAS. There is batch variation as shown by the variation of the strength.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Ostensibly, the NO-AGE-STATEMENT released in North America is a melding of Sherry cask matured Macallans of around 10 years of age. Therefore, as Ganga says, there should not be a significant difference between this version and the 10 Year Old bottling for the European market.

Personally, I find the NAS version benefits greatly from the addition of a little water, which tends to subdue what is otherwise a rather 'brute-force' whisky with a decided spirity edge to it. In this regard, I feel the Macallan CS falls just short of the Aberlour a'bunadh, which I can very often imbibe at full strength.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby charlano » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Ok thanks for your answers :)
charlano

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder