Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lismore 12 Y.O. Single Malt

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Lismore 12 Y.O. Single Malt

Postby Deeg » Tue May 21, 2002 6:29 pm

Hi all - has nyone tried this particular whisky? All I really know is that it's bottled by Wm Lundie and it's cheap - 13 bucks or so here in the States. I'm not expecting a classic at that price, but I'm wondering if it's a good value on an everyday whisky.

Thanks - Dan
Deeg

Postby Opi » Wed May 22, 2002 8:48 pm

Hi Dan,

do you know if its a blended scotch, or a vatted or single malt? I read that Wm Lundie sells different whiskies under the Lismore label. Standard blends are the Finest and the Signature (without age), The Select has an age of 8 years. There are several Special Reserves with an age of 12, 15 and 21 years.
The vatted Lismore is 8yo and the single is 12, 21 and 25 yo.
You said nothing about the age so I think you got a blended Lismore.

slainte Opi
Opi

Postby Deeg » Thu May 23, 2002 4:47 am

Opi -

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not a blended, that's stated clearly on the label. Like the subject header says, it's a 12 Y.O. single malt - albeit one I'd never heard of. Just wondering of anyone had any tasting experiences with it...
Deeg

Postby Quaich » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:58 pm

I've had it (the single). VERY tasty and well balanced for the price. I'm curious about who distills it though. I've tried to investigate it, but there is very little information out there on the Lismore.
Quaich

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:55 am

Yes, I have a bottle of the Lismore Single Malt. Here's my notes:

Score: 74

Lismore NAS 40% abv (hidden distillery) Speyside

Tasting notes:
Color: Shiny gold
Nose: Cut grass, sea breeze, sweet bread
Palate: Sweet malt, cardboard middle, turning bitter
Body: Viscous, gritty texture, dissolving quickly
Finish: Fast, grassy, beer-y
Quote: Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I bought this for the etched Glencairn tasting glass included and this average malt was just a bonus. It will probably get some help with a vatting of Lagavulin. Not the worst thing I’ve tried, but really not as good as some better blends.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:30 am

Is this actually a distillery (I've never heard of) or is it a different malt produced by a distillery like Ledaig (Mull), or Hazelburn (Springbank)? Or just a different bottling like Bushmills (Knappogue Castle)?

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:42 am

I think the name is imaginary like Finlaggan or McClelland and definately not a distillery name.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:33 am

Yes, there are quite a few of these--McClelland's, Dun Bheaghan, Glen Andrew, Glen Gordon, Glen Parker, etc. (The SWA ought to get on these* before they start hassling Glen Breton.) Murray files them under "Unspecified Malts" in his Bible, although he doesn't list Lismore.

Edit: *I mean this plethora of "Glens", which I think are more misleading to the consumer than Glen Breton, an actual single malt from a specific distillery, is.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 am

Post edited - I misunderstood Mr T's argument about the "Glen " !

Skål!
Christian
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 am

Hi there,

the Lismore label of William Lundie & Co. in Glasgow has blends, vatted malts and single malts. The name is taken from a small island in Loch Lhinne.

Blends are the Finest and the Signature NAS, the blended Select is 8 years old. There are several Special Reserves reaching from 12, 15 to 21 year of age. The vatted Lismore 8 years explains itself. The single malt without statement of its origin is 12, 15 and even 25 years old.

I took this information from the Whiskylexikon of Walter Schobert.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:38 am

To my information William Lundie & Co. is a subsidiary of J & G Grant, the owners of Glenfarclas Distillery...

It could therefore be a Glenfarclas in the bottles of Lismore.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:01 pm

I'm sure we did Lismore recently on another thread. I've never had the whisky, but it is the only malt on sale in the community shop on the Isle of Lismore despite having no conection with the island other than the name. Lios Mór means big garden. The nearest distilleries to the Isle of Lismore would be Oban and Ledaig.
Deactivated Member

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:58 am

Hello all:

With respect to Lismore NAS single malt, which is sold in So. Cal. by Trader Joe's and The Wine & Liquor Depot, I have it from a very reliable source that it is a vatting of 5 yr and 8 yr old Glen Rothes. At least that's what it was a couple years ago when I found out this info. I haven't bought a bottle in the last couple years, so it may or may not be the same vatting currently, if even the same malt. That's the flexibility inherent in such non-OB "ghost" brand names. The purported 5/8 yr Glen Rothes sourced Lismore of a couple years ago was a surprisingly good malt (and malty tasting it was, too). If the current bottlings still use the same vatting, it is indeed a good budget malt. For what it's worth, the owner of the Wine & Liquor Depot usually winds up his day at work with a wee dram of Glen Rothes. And he has over 700 different malts to choose from...

Slainte!
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:05 am

If I knew for sure that's what it was, I'd buy it out of curiosity alone, as Glenrothes is one of my favorites. Even if it wasn't particularly good Glenrothes, it would be interesting.
Deactivated Member

Lismore correction (minor)...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 am

Mr. T:

Maybe I need to hire Mr. Picky to proofread my notes. I meant to say Howard at the W&L Depot usually has a wee dram of Lismore at the end of the day at the store...

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby victor tango whisky » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 am

Just picked this up at Trader Joe's on a recent visit to California. I think it's a perfectly good, not great, whisky. Sweeter than most Scotches. Certainly a good value; not unlike TJ's famous "Two Buck Chuck" red wines, although they are an even better value.
victor tango whisky

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Wow, another fan of Howard. :shock: No need to repeat as I have the same information from the same source. It's a nice, not overly complicated beverage.

BTW, I have a 5-yo version. Mikey, got pix?
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder