Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky storage question

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky storage question

Postby txtran » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I just got a bottle of HP 12. I already opened and I'm wondering on the best way to preserve it. The goal is maybe a few a years with improved or equal quality. Now I read in another post that once a bottle if 1/2 way there could be some serious degradation involved. So I also want to know how I can prevent that as well.
txtran

Re: Whisky storage question

Postby txtran » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:18 am

Thank you for the advice and I will drink its just that I only do it on special occasions therefore it take me awhile to finish it
txtran

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 am

That Highland Park 12 Year Old won't improve in the bottle once opened, though you may enjoy it more with each and every subsequent pour.
:wink:
Like C57, I've not experienced any significant degeneration with opened bottles provided reasonable care is taken in storing them. But if you're planning on having any particular bottles around for years on end, it may be worthwhile to transfer the remaining contents to smaller bottles (and resealing those) once the level reaches 50% or lower.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby txtran » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:20 am

Thank you for the advice for right now I'm just keeping it my kitchen cabinet since its dark and cool. The only the thing I was worried about was the air but its over now thanks to you guys.
txtran

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder