Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Postby talisker10 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I was fortunate enough to get three nice bourbons from my wife and her family for Xmas.

George T. Stagg 2010 release (NAS, but I believe it is 17 yo)..
144 proof, and believe it or not only a small amount of burn on the way down. I find that to get ride of that small burn, one small ice cube does the trick. This stuff is dark, thick, and delicious. Nose reminds me of a nice old library full of wood and old leather chairs. Taste, I get coffee, maple syrup, cinammon, and the distinct taste of cherries. Fantastic stuff. I had a bottle of the 2009 WL Weller. but believe I like this better.

Four Roses Small Batch..a very, very good affordable bourbon. Very, very smooth but flavorful. I get a bit of rye spice, then caramel and coconut!

Black Maple Hill Small Batch..the most surprising. I swear it has a similarity to a Highland SMS. It is a bit smoky, buttery, and has some citrus overtones. Very, very good and I would say the most easy drinking of the three.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Very nice trio of American whiskies there, t10. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:49 pm

The Black Maple Hill is a new one on me, but the other two are certainly great whiskies. Nice present t10. Long may you enjoy them.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I've had various versions of all of these. Have to say... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Black Maple Hill is another one of those strange things about American whiskey where a company has someone else distill the product. I think this is distilled by Heaven Hill and is rumored to be about 7-8 years. It is bottled by the BMH folks, owned by CVI Brands. At Spec's in Houston it runs about $38.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder