Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Oban 14 Y.O.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Oban , Oban 14 Years Old

Oban 14 Y.O.

Postby Ize » Tue May 28, 2002 9:09 am

Hello fellows,

I got a chance to try out Oban 14 Y.O. I put it head to head contest with Talisker 10 Y.O. since I had read from somewhere that O14 would be slightly peaty ans smoky. Well, that wasn't the case ... at least I couldn't taste peat at all. In my opinion O14 is nice light but yet somewhat complex whisky for the summer. I did find some similar notes from the taste that I found from Redbreast, although the complexity was not on that high level as with Redbreast. But still it was a dissappointment because I started the thing with very different expectations, I thought that I would have quite powerful whisky on my hands and so the T10 was very overwhelming against it. Maybe I should have tasted against Redbreast .. or Scapa, it was very light whisky too to me .. too light in fact.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed May 29, 2002 5:29 pm

Try the Oban on it's own and start with no preconceptions. It's a good medium bodied, fruity, smoky dram.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:31 pm

I like Oban 14yo; it is one of the few highland malts that I enjoy but please compare it to other mainland drams, not strong islanders! Talisker is one of the most powerful drinks and is not a good comparison for a lighter one.
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:28 am

Alright, now I tasted first O14 all alone. It is somewhat peaty that is true. Quite nice balance, but bit dull perhaps. I'm pretty sure that I could't recognize it in blind test if I now would participate one. Next I compared it with Suntory Yamazaki 12 Y.O. which was quite nice too, rougher in maltness but lacking peat totally. SY12 got much more rounder after few drops of water which made it bit better. O14 did not get any better with water in my opinion. But after tasting SY12 I noticed/found light licorice taste on O14 which rose scores in my ranking. O14 is worth of 8 and SY12 scores 7.5.

Edit: I need to add, that this thing gets better every time I taste. On the third tasting I found touch of the coffee. Very pleasant finding, I need to give one + more this thing so I rate it to 8.25 (8+). Image Maybe this thing needs to breathe a little?

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 06 June 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:45 pm

Oban is something of grower.

Cragganmore is similar in that respect. I didn't rate when I first had it but it gets better as you work your way down a large dram.

Oban is smoky for a highland malt but shouldn't be compared to Island malts.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Oban , Oban 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder