Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Smoothest/least harsh whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Smoothest/least harsh whiskey

Postby Roba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to whiskey but I'd like to venture into it. I was wondering what your opinions are on the smoothest, least harsh whiskies out there and what would be good to try.

Thanks.

Also. If anyone wants to run through this list, this is what is available to me.
http://www.abcboard.state.al.us/files/s ... Prices.pdf
Roba

Re: Smoothest/least harsh whiskey

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am

Okay, took a quick look at your list and here're what I would recommend as decent entry level malts. They are at the lower price point and are something I personally consider fairly smooth and not harsh:
A68 GLENFIDDICH 12 YR. 80 12Yr 750 ML 41.99
A106 THE GLENLIVET 12 YR 80 12Yr 750 ML 39.99
A420 GLENMORANGIE 10 YR. 86 10Yr 750 ML 39.99
It's too bad the Balvenie 10 yo Founders Reserve is no longer available as it also is a fine entry level scotch.

Now, if you want a single malt at a higher price point ( +$5-6.00) and with a bit more flavour to enjoy, once you've teethed on the lower price whiskies, try these:
A434 HIGHLAND PARK 80 750 ML 43.99
A464 GLENMORANGIE LASANTA 80 750 ML 45.99
I quite enjoy HP and feel you can't go wrong with either of these whiskies.

Finally, once you've sampled the lower price points and want to delve into the wonders of Single Malts, you might want to consider trying these:
A656 THE MACALLAN 12 YR. 86 12Yr 750 ML 58.99
The Macallan is considered by some to be the "Cadillac" of SM, I just enjoy it
A997 BALVENIE DBLEWOOD 86 12Yr 750 ML 56.99
A998 BALVENIE SGL.BARREL 95 15Yr 750 ML 73.99
The Balvenie Doublewood is a personal favorite, mild but with a lovely finish and I also find the 15 yo Single Barrel to be a very enticing SM.

I've saved what I consider the best for last. Remember taste is subjective. Now the HP 15 is not a mild Island malt, but it has some wonderful nuances and a fiine finish. The price point is also very attractive. I wish I could buy it here in Canada for that.
A1061 HIGHLAND PARK 15 YR 86 15Yr 750 ML 59.99.

Hope my comments are useful but the best advice is to go out and sample them, if possible, before buying a bottle that you may not enjoy or be disappointed in. Once you acquire some, nose it and taste it neat, then adjust it with a bit of water, nose it and taste it again to see how it opens up. With Single Malts, you can drown them so ideally I would use a straw, dip it in water about an inch down, cover the end with a finger tip and control the "flow" to only a couple of drops, as you add to the whisky. And welcome to a lifetime of enjoying Single Malts.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Roba » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:35 am

That's wondeful advice, thank you. I'm not sure of anyway to just sample them, so I will take the risk and grab one of these. Do you have a suggestion as of which?
Roba

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:...the best advice is to go out and sample them, if possible, before buying a bottle that you may not enjoy or be disappointed in.

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Of those whiskies you've listed, I think the 12-year old Glenlivet represents an excellent malt with which to start out, as it's a very subtle, non-abrasive, easy-going sort of whisky that still possesses enough complexity and character to warrant your attention.

Might I also suggest a marginally sweeter, citrusy Lowland malt such as the 12-year old Auchentoshan?

But in the final analysis, MP's recommendation to 'try before you buy' is excellent advice. Hopefully, there's a watering hole with a decent enough selection of malts somewhere nearby you.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 pm

I have to agree with Muskrat Portage that the Balvenie 10 is an excellent entry-level scotch. (it was my first 'real' scotch). My second bottle was a Glenmorangie 10, another great 'starter'. For smooth, you can't really go wrong with a Macallan 12, although I think it will have its detractors on these boards. In a similar vein is the Glenrothes Select Reserve.
I like my drams with a wee splash of water, but there are four I never add water to due to their 'mellowness': Scapa 14, Aberlour 15, An Cnoc 12 and Auchentoshan Three Wood.
I am no expert though.
Fscott

Postby Roba » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 pm

A few of my friends seem to think scotch burns more than Irish whiskey, is there truth to this and will the above listed burn for a beginner such as myself?
Roba

Postby MARS » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Roba wrote:A few of my friends seem to think scotch burns more than Irish whiskey, is there truth to this and will the above listed burn for a beginner such as myself?

The answer is yes. Without doubt.
There are malt more easy to drink than these one. (not necesserely better, just more easy to drink)

The aushentochan three wood is not bad but still not what I will buy if I was you.

I don't have access to the link(probably some problem with firefox).

Anyway, if the whisky is really good, the burn of the alcool will be allright. But the best whiskies are also awfully expensive! (the laphroaig 1970 duthies for samaroli is incredibly good, and the 54° are just a posisitve point, but I am not willing to pay the (+)1000€ for one bottle)

MARS
MARS

Postby bredman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Roba wrote:A few of my friends seem to think scotch burns more than Irish whiskey, is there truth to this and will the above listed burn for a beginner such as myself?

I don't think you should worry about burn, you'll soon toughen up. :wink:
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Roba » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:20 am

Thanks guys, I will update this weekend once I try it out.
Roba

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:16 am

Roba wrote:That's wondeful advice, thank you. I'm not sure of anyway to just sample them, so I will take the risk and grab one of these. Do you have a suggestion as of which?

Roba. If you want to be scientific, you can browse the web and read up on the various pros and cons of what other think.
Around 30 years ago, I was introduced to The Glenlivet by a chum that has become a very tight friend. You can't go wrong with The Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, The Balvenie or even Highland Park. Most of the Lowland malts are very gentle as are the Irish whiskies.
In the end, if I was to grab just one, I'd look for a Glenlivet 350 ml as it is both at a reasonable price point and a fairly gentle malt.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:42 am

Always good to try some of the smaller bottle offerings. Minis, 20 cl or 375 ml or good sizes to try something.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 am

bredman wrote:

I don't think you should worry about burn, you'll soon toughen up. :wink:

Straight to the point Pete, I like you style......
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder