Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"Nikka Whisky From The Barrel"

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Nikka From the Barrel

"Nikka Whisky From The Barrel"

Postby Gate » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:51 pm

A friend of mine who doesn't like whisky was given a bottle of "Nikka Whisky From the Barrel" and has passed it on to me to drink (top man Image). Trouble is, apart from the name, the only thing on the label not in Japanese characters is "alc. 51.4%" and "500 ml.", and I can't read Japanese. Does anyone know anything about it, e.g. whether it is a single malt, vatted malt, blend or what? Whatever it is, I was pleasantly surprised on first quick unscientific taste: immediate thought was that it was a pretty good blend,reminiscent of Johnny Walker Black Label. I may just have to get some of the Yoichi Cask Strength 10 y.o. next...
Gate
Silver Member

Postby scotspain » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:31 pm

This is a non-chillfiltered cask stenght Blend!
scotspain

Postby Gate » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:38 am

Well, it's a fine blend. The last time I had Japanese whisky (Suntory), I thought it was very bland and undistinguished, and a bit soapy, but this stuff is a revelation. I've now tasted it head-to-head with JW Black, and there are some similarities, although the JW still wins (as it does over most whiskies, I have to say).
Gate
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Nikka From the Barrel

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder