Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Why William Grant & Sons Ltd have not released Kininvie?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Why William Grant & Sons Ltd have not released Kininvie?

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:26 am

1990 Distillery built.
Built next to sister distilleries Glenfiddich and Balvenie principally to supply William Grant’s blends.
Not yet available as a Single Malt.
No official bottlings.
No Independent Bottlings.

Why?
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:37 am

Why? Try asking them, but don't expect to get a straight answer! I had a taste of a cask sample of Kininvie and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, so it's not a case of Kininvie 'only being good for blending'.

Keep asking why Kininvie isn't bottled and who knows what happens in the future ...

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby mortlach99 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:31 pm

I've heard from a couple of people who say Kininvie is a nice dram. The reason i've heard it hasn't been taken out as a Malt because the final spirit character differs from year to year. Something distilled in year 1992 is different from year 1993. Not to good if it takes off and becomes popular. It would have been an ideal 10yo for the new millenium.
They did a bit of work last year to try and even it out. All feints and low wines go into one big reciever instead of seperate vessels. This should ensure each Spirit Still has an even charge. It will be awhile to see if it has worked!
They were one of the biggest voices against Cardhu/Cardow which brings up the point that the mash tun and washbacks for Kininvie are at Balvenie. The wash is then piped down to the stills. Could you take Kininvie out as a Malt when not everthing is done under the same roof :?:
What do you think :?: :!:
mortlach99

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:59 pm

I've visited Kininvie and I think the real reason is that it would probably tread on the toes of Glenfiddich and Balvenie.

I've tasted it four times and it does vary hugely from year to year so that could be another reason.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:54 am

I suspect it's probably a combination of many of the above suggestions.

Also, let us not forget that it is no small task to launch a new single malt on the market. Marketing people have to decide the bottle shape & colour, the label, the launch, where to sell it, how to advertise it, and of course, all the capital required to invest behind it. And yes, I suspect it would tread on the toes of Glenfiddich and Balvenie, who between them already service two different areas of the single malt market (i.e. the mass produced, readily available and cheapish Glenfiddich, versus the more refined & austere Balvenie for those of us with better tastes :wink: :) ).
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby norlaggan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Kininvie has been bottled and was released as a limited edition called "Hazlewood 105" to mark the 105th birthday of Janet Sheed Roberts . . .the granddaughter (and last surviving grandchild) of William Grant of the founder. Interestingly Mrs Roberts actually opened the Kininvie in 1990

I've got a bottle (no 975) with the following dates:
Distilled Date 9th August 1990
In Cask Date 10th August 1990
Out Of Cask Date 1st August 2006

The bottle carries the "real" signature (not printed) of the the Malt Master at Kininvie (David Stewart) and came an authentification certificate wish bearing the following "real" signatures:

Charles Gordon & Sandy Grant Gordon (The Isabella Gordon nee Grant and the Alexander Grant Families)

Benedicta Chamberlain (The John Grant Family)
Jeab Scott Brown (The Charles Grant Family)

The label also carries the following notes:

This whisky, the FIRST RELEASE from the Kininvie Distillery, has been matured in FIRST FILL Sherry casks for Fifteen Years. It has a NUTTY AROMA with notes of DRIED FRUIT

The mouthful is BIG, with hints of SHERRY & OAK SPICE coming through strongly. This Kininvie has a medium FINISH and a RICH BRONZE COLOUR

If anyone is interested I will send a photo of the Box, The Actual Bottle, The Label and a scan of the authentification certificate.

As far as I am aware Hazlewood 105 was not released on to the open market and was given as gifts to employees to mark the 105th Birthday of Mrs Roberts on 13th August 2006 (which is the actual date on the certificate of authentification from William Grant & Sons Ltd.)

fOR FURTHER DETAILS EMAIL whisky@norlaggan.co.uk
norlaggan

Postby Lawrence » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:52 am

That's a nice gift.....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby norlaggan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 am

I've had a few requests for photos and scans. Rather then sending out numerous emails I thought it would be better to put items up on the web

For picture of Bottle and box, and scan of certificate go to http://www.spiritofspeyside.info/kininvie/
norlaggan

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:40 pm

Are you going to the Speyside Festival next week, Norlaggan?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

September Festival

Postby norlaggan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:52 pm

I'll probably try to get to some of the more unusual events next week . . but having a B&B in Aberlour we are full during the Festival (late nights and early mornings)
norlaggan

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:02 pm

I'll be at a few tastings and a couple of the bus tour/masterclass events.

There is 1 dregs party ticket left, btw! 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder