Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet 15-year French Oak Reserve

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenlivet 15-year French Oak Reserve

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 pm

A while back, a distillery rep told me that Glenlivet would be changing the bottle of the French Oak Reserve from green to clear. This was to mark the 15 as being in their premium category, along with the 18 and up, rather than their basic offering with the 12-year.

Not long after that, the product went on sale. They had been running in the $40-$45 range, and several places had them on sale for $36, so I bought a couple.

Now, the French Oak Reserve is back in stores, but it's selling at just over $60! Now, I liked it, and while <$40 is a good deal, sixty bucks is way too much. Not long ago, I tried some of it, and it tasted very different. Unfortunately, it was late in a night of tasting, so I can't say for sure what it tasted like, but I'm certain it has changed a lot. It seemed sweeter and less creamy. I don't want to spring the sixty bucks to test it out. Can anyone tell me more about the change to this product?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Re: Glenlivet 15-year French Oak Reserve

Postby Doug1937 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:59 am

IMO, why buy the same thing twice? Anytime you do that you're missing out on an expression you've yet to try. :D
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Re: Glenlivet 15-year French Oak Reserve

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:45 am

I very seldom buy the same thing twice. Usually only the best of the best. In this case, I got it because it was cheap and to have something smooth on hand for guests (since I'm a peat head).
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder