Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your own vatted malt? Heres mine....

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Your own vatted malt? Heres mine....

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:50 pm

Hi
I have 10 bottles of whisky and after getting familier with the tastes I decided after reading about it to mix two together.
So....
...I tried 50% Springbank and 50% Longrow it turned out really nice as I like a bit of smokiness, and actually it was quite strange as it smelt more like Springbank but tasted more like Longrow.
Anyone else tried any or recommend any?
Cheers
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:00 am

You daredevil! Image

I don't dare to start mixing own vatted malt from my single malts. But this doesn't mean that I would disapprove your doings, good that someone has strength to try out vatting. Image

Kippis,
Ize

Off-topic, can someone recommend good vatted malt (in a bottle Image)? Are they rare breed, since I can't even name one?
Ize
Silver Member

Postby MaltMan » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:28 am

Ize,

A reasonable vatted malt is The Famous Grouse Vintage Malt 1987. A very good vatted malt is Black Bottle 10 (blended Islay-malt-whiskies, really good and not expensive!)
MaltMan

Postby lexkraai » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:43 am

Hi all

There's some suggestions for 'home vatting' at www.celticmalts.com/journal-c2.htm

As to bottled vatted malts, try Compass Box's "Eleuthera", a vatting of Caol Ila and Clynelish.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby westcoastboy » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:38 am

Talisker and Oban - fifty fifty - it transforms both, and is a wonderful dram.

Yes folks - you can do it at home too !
westcoastboy

Postby Gate » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:35 am

I've never vatted my own malt, but I did (following a posting way back when on this very site about how to liven up dodgy malts) take some "Signatory Vintage Islay" (a 5-year-old cask strength Lagavulin which fair makes your eyes water in its natural state) and mix it with Cambus single grain (31 year-old Cadenhead bottling) and Compass Box Hedonism vatted grain in proportions of 3 parts Lagavulin to one part each of Cambus and Hedonism. The result was cracking stuff - it took all the evil roughness out of the young malt but let all the seaweediness and peatiness come through. Not as good as Black Bottle 10 y.o., but then not much is (IMHO). In fact, I still have some of the Cambus and Hedonism, and a full range of Islays at 10 y.o. or older - my very own Gate's Bottle 10 y.o. beckons! Thanks for the idea, Ian! Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaltMan:
<B>Ize,

A reasonable vatted malt is The Famous Grouse Vintage Malt 1987. A very good vatted malt is Black Bottle 10 (blended Islay-malt-whiskies, really good and not expensive!)
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the hint about Famous Grouse.

But in the Longmorn-topic that I started few weeks ago, there was talking about Black Bottle which is brilliant whisky (I have that already) ... but it is blended whisky not vatted. ;-)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:05 pm

Hi,

Sounds very interesting, to make your own vatted malt whisky. I think I'll make some my self and let the results know here on this forum. Or how about making your own blend??. This could give some interesting discussions, and interesting answers.

Slaite,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Opi » Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:51 pm

Hi,

there are several vatted malts I can recommend and even more exist.
The vatted Johnny Walker (Green Label, 15yo) and the Ballantine´s Pure Malt 12yo are well done. I know the vatted Famous Grouse but IMHO the blended is better. Gordon&McPhail has several vatted malts (Pride of Islay, Pride of Strathspey, Pride of Lowland,..).
Chivas has a vatted called Century Of Malts (vatting of 100 Malts, the Malts described in the booklet included).
There has been a vatted malt Glen Flagler that should content a small amount of the legendary single Malt of the same name.

Slainte Opi
Opi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:08 pm

About making your own vatted malt. I tryed a combination of Arran and Auchentoshan(select), must say that the results were not that dissapointed, but not enough to say: yes this is it....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Frank D.Scott » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:53 am

I have been blending my own drams for a while now,I blend my grains together and let them sit for a week or two and do the same with my malts.I like to use Islays for bottom notes usually no more than three.I really like Coal Ila for blending.Two lowland whiskies Glenkinchie, Littlemill are my favourites there.I usually go with 5 to seven Speysides such as Linkwood,Longmorn,
Mortlach,Glenfarlas 15 or 21 or The Macallan 12 year old for top dressing.After the malts have been vatted for a couple of weeks I marry the grains and malts together and let them sit for a couple of weeks just nosing them of and on.In the end I sometimes have a damn nice dram, sometimes not, but nothing that I wouldn't drink on a long winter's night.It's a lot of fun.
As far as a great vatted malt goes,the best one I've had without question is Sir Iain Noble's Poit Dhubh 21 year old.Talisker and I think Glenfarlas are both found playing big starring roles.Really worth trying
Frank
Frank D.Scott

Postby Tom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:34 pm

Did some vatting to experiment after reading the home vatting poll.
None turned out good and now i dont have any bottlings around that are bad enough to vat. Nothing is worth to be vatted with my bowmore darkest...
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Droog » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:48 pm

Ize wrote:You daredevil! Image

I don't dare to start mixing own vatted malt from my single malts. But this doesn't mean that I would disapprove your doings, good that someone has strength to try out vatting. Image

Kippis,
Ize

Off-topic, can someone recommend good vatted malt (in a bottle Image)? Are they rare breed, since I can't even name one?

You could go west Ize, over the sea, and buy a bottle of Black Ribbon 10 or preferably 21 yo.
Droog

Postby islayjunkie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:25 am

My personal favorite is 1 part Lagavulin 16yo OB (Port Ellen) : 2 parts Lagavulin 12yo CS (2002). Reminds me of a 16yo 1994-95 Lagavulin White Horse bottling vs todays 16yo OB Port Ellen.

The Laga 16yo enhances the Laga 12yo with a more intense smoke and sherry profile. Laga 12yo cuts down on the 16yo sherried sweetness and adds more peat, organics, salt and liquorice to the profile... still a tad sweet but my favorite Lagavulin to date.

Anyone else try this? Please do... I could be imagining things :wink:
Last edited by islayjunkie on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:46 am

Ize wrote:Off-topic, can someone recommend good vatted malt (in a bottle Image)? Are they rare breed, since I can't even name one?

I cannot recommend this but I will be purchasing a Compass Box or 2 soon. They seem to be highly rated. I'm interested in the Eleuthera Whisky. Anyone try this?

http://www.compassboxwhisky.com
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:11 pm

I had a brief tasting once last autumm, and tried it. I only got an impression, but it was OK. I consider it worth about C$40-45 but the current price tag of C$80 in Ontario seems high. In fact, that's my problem with Eluthera, Hedonism, and Alysa (sp). They're all nice whiskies, but overpriced IMHO.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby islayjunkie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:26 pm

Frodo wrote:I consider it worth about C$40-45 but the current price tag of C$80 in Ontario seems high.
Frodo

That's why we're so lucky to have the Internet. I think I'll just stick to the Peat Monster due to its composition (Caol Ila, 10 & 11 years-old; Ardmore, 12-17 years-old).

I grabbed 2 Compass Box Peat Monster at $41.99 which is a great price considering it's the most limited realease (2100 bottles). Just waiting for it to be shipped.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder