Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 18 Grand Reserve Vs Macallan 25 year old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan 18 Grand Reserve Vs Macallan 25 year old

Postby zigster » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:33 pm

:D Looking to buy a present - any thoughts on the subject.
zigster

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:53 pm

I have no idea about this issue, but the only thing i have to say that 18yo Grand Reserve has lots of different vintages.
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:25 am

I think there were only three vintages of the Gran Reserva available: 1979, 1980, and 1981.

They are no longer being produced or released by Macallan, and have subsequently become collectors' items. Their flavour profile is enormously sherried, if not a touch woody. I would not call them particularly "representative" of a typical 18yo Macallan.

The 25yo however is still being regularly bottled and released, and although recent bottlings appear to have been scored a little lower than previous bottlings, it is still a wonderful malt, with a beautiful flavour & complexity, and handsomely packaged.

The 25yo and the Gran Reserva are similarly priced, but if the recipient of your gift is likely to drink the whisky rather than stare at the unopened bottle on his mantlepiece, I would suggest the 25yo.

Cheers,
Admiral

(P.S...If this reply has been at all helpful to you, I'll happily accept whichever bottle you elected not to give as the present! :D )
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:54 am

Stephen
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder