Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jamesons

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Jamesons

Postby bond » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:08 pm

Managed to get hold of a bottle of Jamesons last night.

The first dram was rough and the finish, almost metallic. Certainly seemed like a difficult one to weather.

With every successive dram though, one got exposed to the wonderful floral notes opening into a smooth heathery crescendo. Eminently drinkable whiskey.

Does anyone have any tasting notes to share?

Also, apart from Bushmills, any other Irish whisk(e)y recommendations?
bond
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:03 pm

Its definitely got a bitter / sharp edge to it - pickled oak ?? To be honest I don't really care for it.

No recommendations I'm afraid - I've just had the various expressions of Bushmills and have not really been moved.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby justin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:59 pm

which jameson are we talkin' about here?
justin

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:00 pm

Well, it sounds to me like you aren't likely to be moved by the Irish experience.

I got a bottle of Redbreast for a friend who likes Irish, and folks here went on and on about what a wonderful whiskey it was. I found it drinkable, but dull and flat are two words that come to mind regarding it. I don't know if it's the pot still or what, but I find that lots of Irish whiskeys have kind of a metallic tang to them that I really don't like.

Sooo.... it's back to Scotch for me, or Canadian or American. I do
keep a bottle of Jameson around for pouring in coffee.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:53 am

I would recommend you get hold of the Jameson 15 yr old pure pot still if you can get it.

Much cheaper, and I believe one of the finest whisk(e)ys in the world is the Jameson 12 yr old. Then there's Redbreast, Greenspot, and Powers. These are all world class, although some Scotch drinkers won't give them a chance as they don't believe they have the caché (not pointing any fingers).

Anyway, make up your own mind. All the whiskeys mentioned are less than 35 euro, apart from the 15 yr old.

If you can get Midleton 25 yr old, Dougourney or Tullamore pure pot still, you will be experiencing history and probably some of the best whiskeys ever made.

Jameson standard is nice enough, but there's much better imo.

Then there's the malt whiskeys - Bushmills and Cooley. I am not a huge fan of Bushmills, but they do have a few expressions I really like. The Cooley is very like scotch single malt whisky. You can get the smokey stuff or the nonsmokey stuff. I would recommend the Connemara, especially the 12 yr old. Put this in a scotch bottle and much more would rave about it.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:50 am

The "Smooth Sweeter One" put out by the Easy Drinking Whisky Company (aka Jon Mark & Robbo) is a vatted Irish malt, and it is very nice and drinkable.

Not necessarily complex or challenging, but (not surprisingly) it's smooth, it's sweet, and goes down very nicely.

I concur with a few here that the standard Jamesons is a bit thin & metallic. I'm not sure I see what Jim Murray sees in it - he rated it the best Irish whiskey in his Bible.

I've also have a bottle of Paddy. Nothing unpleasant about it, but it's very flat & lifeless.

For me, the best Irish whiskey going around is Black Bush. Try this one and see what you think.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:12 am

Aidan, I totally agree with you - there are certainly some scotch drinkers who won't give anything else a try. I consider myself a whiskey drinker. Put it in my glass, and I'll have a few gulps. I've not tried Green Spot or the high end Jameson, and I certainly will as soon as I can find a bottle.

However, what I can't help but notice in Irish is the lack of characteristics I like in both Scotch and Bourbon... I find the sweet spiciness of bourbon wonderful, and the blooming flavors in speysides or the dark smoky richness of Islays absolutely intoxicating (so to speak).

Admiral is right in pointing to Black Bush as a top quality drink with wide appeal. But I'd take an Aberlour 10 or a Maker's Mark over BB any day.

Irish has a much wider taste spectrum than your run-of-the-mill Canadian whiskey, and I'd take it straight over many Canadians, (Gibson's 18 being an exception). But for the most part, Irish finds its way into coffee at my house, where I must say it really comes into its own.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:59 am

Admiral

I'm not sure if the Easy Drinking Company's Irish whiskey could be vatted, if it's Irish. It would all come from Cooley. I haven't tried it yet.

Jim Murray rates Jameson standard as one of the best whisk(e)ys in the world, which I find strange

Sasquachman

That's fair enough. There's nothing wrong with not liking Irish whiskey that much. It is a completely different flavor profile to other whiskeys.

I think that Irish whiskey is now being marked to younger people who like to mix drinks. This is great for the company, but not so great if you really love Irish whiskey, as the more flavourful brands are taking a back seat. I wish Irish Distilers was a little more adventurous when it comes to producing single-cask offerings at higher abv. They do this with the Bushmills, but not the Jamesons.
Aidan

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:10 am

Aidan,

The Smooth Sweeter One is a vatting of 1999 & 2000 Irish Whiskey from Cooley, so yes, it is a single malt by definition. It's a surprisingly young bottling, which is interesting, because I much prefer it to the older Bushmills 10yo single malt.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:44 am

Admiral

I never really liked the Bushmills 10 yr old, but I tasted a recent bottling and was very surprised. Still not the best but much much improved.

Aidan
Aidan

Jameson's 12YO

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:15 pm

Jameson 12YO - I've heard quite a few people singing this whiskey's praises.

Think perhaps I will try it soon as I must confess to being a bit dismissive of Irish whiskey.

It drives me mad when friends who love scotch poo poo American whisky on the basis of a JD they had years ago.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:53 pm

Well I love it anyway, but if you don't like Irish whiskey, it might not suit. Well worth a try, as essentially it is the flavor I look for in the whiskeys I like.
Aidan

Jamesons.

Postby Squire » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:26 am

I recently attended a tasting evening and tried the 12 yo Jameson 1780.
While very lovely, I couldnt help but notice a vaguely unpleasant aftertaste. An oily, almost "fishy" finish. This was both before and after tasting other Irish, Scotch and American whiskies.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any suggestions as to what I am tasting?
I am generally a fan of Irish whiskey - even the standard Jamesons. :?
Squire

Postby Frodo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:14 pm

I quite like the 12 yr old Jamison, and I found the 18 yr old really, really good :o . The regular house blend Jamison I find quite boring, and if I had the choice, I would simply buy Powers gold label instead of this. The one instance that I will drink Jamison HB is when I'm at a bar and a friend wants to buy me a drink. Instead of soaking someone for a single malt shot, this will do nicely, seeing as HB scotch I would rather pour down the gas tank as opposed to my throat.

Any Impressions of Green Spot out there, I'd really like to know. I have an unopened bottle and i'm kind of curious.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:07 am

Frodo

Greenspot is excellent. It would be many people's favorate Irish. It is brilliant value for 34 euro too. I wish they made more whiskey the same way...
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:00 am

Aidan: Thanks for the heads-up on Green Spot. What I'd really like to know is, what it was you liked about it, and how you feel it compares to other Irish whiskys. :)

Bamber: I Highly recommend the Jameson 12 yr old at it's price point. It's not a very complicated whisky, but it is very light with a significant sherried character. And it's not just me who likes this whisky It appears I'm in good company if whisky website feedback is anything to go by. My concern is that in one of your posts, you said that you tend to go for Bourbon and Scotch, whereas Irish is definatly much lighter than those styles. Therefore the Irish style may not be what you look for in whisky. Methinks Aidan knows more about this so I would be curious for his imput. :idea:

Bond: With regard to recommendations, I've found that in Ontario, Black Bush, Redbrest and 12 yr old Jameson all share a price point that makes those whiskys a very good buy. I don't consider them contemplative malts, simply good quality whiskys for good times. For a house blend Powers Gold Label is the only one I would buy. Jameson and Tullimore Dew I found to be dull, lifeless, and forgetable. If you want to splash out, Very Old Middleton is in my opinion the the equal (or better) of some very good scotches. The one I tried had complex layers after layers of differant flavours, herbacous and wonderful. The only issue I had was that the bottle would cost $125 cdn - too much for a student at the time. :cry:

I'm sure Aidan could give you better feedback as in Canada, our selection of Irish whiskys is limited. Hope this helps Bond! And I salute you for wanting to try new avenues and directions. Best of luck on this noble journey! :D :!: :D

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:06 am

Sorry, Thats VR Middleton, not Very Old Middleton. :oops:

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:06 pm

Frodo

Greenspot is like a younger, less sherried Redbreast. It has the pure pot still character - kind of a honied porridge. It's got a menthol chololate finish. Lots of character and very drinkable.

I have tried a few of the Midleton VRs, but don't think they're worth the money, to be honest. I like them a lot, especially the 2003 version - the best one I've tasted.

Irish whiskey is lighter in general than soctch or burbon, but I think the good ones are just as complex. I think they should bottle them at a few more pure pot still ones at cask strength. I have tried some of the very old bottlings and I think they are unmatched, from what I've tasted, of course. Anyway, that's just an opinoin.

Powers Gold Label is excellent. It's what I drink mostly if I'm in a pub. They 12 yr old version is even better, although it does seem to vary from bottle to bottle.

Then there's the Cooley malts, which I really like because I like a little bit of sweetness. The Connemara 12 yr old is superb, but way too expensive for what it is. I also really liked the Signatory 10 yr old Cooley malt...

Anyway, everyone's an expert really, once you know what you like.

Aidan
Aidan

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:32 pm

Any more recommendations for the 18yo Jameson 'Master Selection'? I've seen some excellent reviews but just a few short mentions here. It isn't that expensive really, for an 18yo, since Irish Whiskey is considered lower that Scotch Whisky for some reason. I should probably just get myself a bottle... but it is 40% and I generally prefer scotch so perhaps I should get something else.

Any ideas to push me over the edge into buying a bottle?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:42 pm

harry

I think the 18 yr old is similar to the 12 yr old. It is better, but it's three times more expensive over here. It is a while since I tasted it. I remember it as having quite a lot of potstill with a nice oak touch.

Apparantly, it changes a bit from batch to batch.

If you like scotch and want to taste a similar Irish, try the Connemara 12. It's a peated, double-distilled single malt. The Connemara standard is quite good too.

Aidan
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Harry:

I've tried the 18yr old Jameson a few times and I loved it. I'm not sure I would pay $80 cdn for a bottle of it but it is good! I found it more complex than the 12 yr old with much less sherry character. It reminded me a lot of JW Gold - I guess it's the honeyed personality of them both.
As far as should you buy a bottle goes, I'm reluctant to offer a blanket suggestion that you should buy it. The last time I bought a whisky off the shelf without checking it out first I spent $60 on a bottle of Cardu :x :evil: :twisted: . The moral that I learned was to do your homework before purchasing.
My advice would be to have a shot at a pub first, or if this is not possible, wait until the LCBO delists this item, and it goes on sale. I can't imagine the demand for this whisky to be very high, and if this turns out to be true, the LCBO will want to get rid through delist sales. When this would happen though, who knows.
Just a couple of ideas.

Cheers
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:35 pm

Trouble is, sometimes I research until the cows come home and the LCBO sells out. Other times I buy early and then, as you say, they're swimming in bottles and they eventually dump them. The 18yo Jamieson is very well stocked at the moment so perhaps I'll wait for the xmas or st. paddy's day sales.

OTOH, Connemara is in stock now and last time I waffled it flew off the shelves so perhaps I should get some cask strength peated?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:15 pm

I can't remember where I read this but the Connemara cask strength is supposed to be peated at a lesser level than the regular Connemara (assuming you watered it down to a comperable level to compare). The nice thing about the cask strength though is than YOU can decide at what strength you want to try it at.

I was thinking of the regular Connemara, but when I scraped the money together, The 16 yr old Balblair was on sale so I got that instead. Hope I don't regret it. :!: 8)

Perhaps Aidan can shed some light on the Cask strength :?:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:39 pm

I had the cask strength Connemara once and remember it as being a little sweeter than the standard stuff. I don't think I though it was brilliant or anything at the time, but I did like it.

I also tasted a 13 yr old non-peated Cooley and it was really excellent. I think they are planning on releasing it, so I think it will be one to look out for.

Aidan
Aidan

Postby bond » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:22 am

Thanks Frodo for your recommendations. I must salute you too for the sheer enthusiasm of posts across topics within hours of signing up! :D

I tried the Bushmills 10 yo malt last night and was not moved at all. A lot more complex than the Jamesons but the metal lingers on the finish.

Having said that, I am determined to give it a 2nd try since I had it last night after downing a couple of J W Blacks and a Henessey XO.

Will start my evening with a Bushmills tomorrow and post results again.
Last edited by bond on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:17 am

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 10 yr old. I don't think i tshould have a metallic taste, though, which woujld be associated with the potstill, rather than the malts. Maybe it was off? The Bushmills 16 is good though.

Jameson is nice, that's all I'd really say about it. I don't think it's without complexity, but maybe that's just me.
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:18 pm

Aidan: I agree with your assessment of the 10yr old Bushmills.

Bond: You said in your last post you intended to try the Bushmills 10yr old again. Same responce?

Any feedback about the premium Powers (10 or 12yr old I think it is) :?: Is it really better than the Gold Label, and if so, how much better and in what ways? We can't get that over here, and a friend of mine visits relatives in Ireland so he can pick some up for me if I ask him. What I'm wondering is, is it worth it.

Feedback much apprietiated.
Frodo
Last edited by Frodo on Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:42 pm

Frodo

I would highly recommend the Powers 12 yr old. The first bottle of this I got, it was my favorate whiskey. The second wasn't as good. I don't know if it's me or does it vary in quality.

Lovely pot still with some nice vanilla wood. I have never nosed anything so close to fruit cake. In fact, at the risk of sounding wierd, I occasionally have a smell of one of the empty bottles I've kept.

It's much more mellow than the Gold Label, so it's a different whiskey. I think there are similar notes in the Midleton VR 2003, which I think is by far the best VR I've tasted. Rounded spices, with the Powers honey.

Anyway, that's my t'pence worth

Is it worth it? Well if you like Irish whiskey, this is a great one. And it's only 34 euro over here - and you get the tax back...
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:40 pm

Aidan:

Thanks for the heads-up! It sounds worth it to at least try a bottle. BTW, I finally tried Conemarra on the weekend. I can't tell the differance from scotch!

Thanks
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:56 am

Frodo wrote:Aidan:

Thanks for the heads-up! It sounds worth it to at least try a bottle. BTW, I finally tried Conemarra on the weekend. I can't tell the differance from scotch!

Thanks
Frodo

I also tried Conemarra, for the first time this weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was the cask strength version. More peppery than peaty and like you say, very Scotch like (IMHO).
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Squire » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:22 am

bond wrote:I tried the Bushmills 10 yo malt last night and was not moved at all. A lot more complex than the Jamesons but the metal lingers on the finish.

Will start my evening with a Bushmills tomorrow and post results again.

How was the second try, Bond?

I just tried a Bushmills 10yo for the first time too and was rather disappointed. The idea of a single malt Irish seemed like the best of both worlds but was sadly not the case. :(
The finish shared the same quality I mentioned earlier in this thread that I found in a Jameson 12yo. Maybe it is metal, I don't know.
It seems to my relatively inexperienced palate that these whiskey's, when aged, lose the lightness and smoothness that is so much a part of their appeal without gaining any of the richness or complexity of, say an aged single malt scotch or a premium bourbon.
However, I am yet to try an 18yo version of either or many of the more mature Irish whiskeys that I'm sure I will enjoy.
Anyone have any suggestions to steer me in the right direction?
Black Bush is readily available here down under. Is it a worthy investment?
Squire

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:31 am

Newcomer.....I would definitely recommend Black Bush to you - it's certainly the best Irish whiskey available in Sydney. It is so much richer than the Bushmills 10yo. Also, at around $40, it's very good value.

(P.S....you'll have to change your name once you've been round here for a while! :D :wink: )
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:48 am

I had in fact put off my Bushmills tasting by a couple of days. Had my second dram last night and this is certainly my final try.

Will save it for my brother-in-law :wink:
bond
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:25 am

For me, the thing with Bushmills 10 is that there's nothing unpleasent about it, but nothing much to recommend it either. The 16 yr old and 21 yr old are different stories. I know in blind tastings, these do very well indeed.
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:33 am

I concur wholehartedly with Aidan's assessment of Bushmills 10 yr old. The 16yr is undoubtably better, but is it worth the extra money? That's the $64 000 question for me. I don't have an answer yet - I'd have to go back and do more research :D . The things I do in the name of research... Never had the 21 yr old, and probably couldn't afford it even if I found it.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder