Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you think of The Balvenie 17 Islay cask?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

What do you think of The Balvenie 17 Islay cask?

Postby r0b » Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:17 am

a few days ago I received it, and it didn't take long before I tasted it.

I think it is a really fine whisky, but the otherwise thoroughly enjoyable Balvenie charachter was drowned in the tar-like & smoky finish. The nose promised more than what it delivered, and I miss the fruity, slightly honeyed Balvenie charachter. The finish was very Islay and powerful.

Since I adore Islay whiskies, and The Balvenie is one of my absolute Highland faves (the Doublewood is one of the top 5 from this region I have ever tasted) I think The Balvenie Islay cask gives me a rather confused impression as if it cannot decide whether it's a Highland or an Islay. However, since the smokiness, dryness & peatiness is, IMO, almost overwheklming (ion the finish at least) why not spend your money on one of the Islay distilleries whiskies?

Since I have just opened the bottle and had one taste, I may be to harsh. But what do you fellow whisky-enthusiasts think of this whisky?

Im conclusion, I find it daring & a breath of fresh air that distilleries try some unorthodox methods, srtrayting away from the sometimes overtly conservative stance held by, as far as I know, quite a few distilleries (The 21 year-old Glenfiddich havana comes to mind). But is it really necessary?
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:38 pm

Hi,

Nice and matured sweetness, with a hint of smoke....EXCELLENT DRAM.

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Gate » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:44 pm

I think the Islay finish is a good dram, but that's because the whisky itself is brilliant. The finish is unnecessary and the whole thing works despite the finish rather than because of it. I wouldn't go as far as Ian Hamilton (I think it was) who said that putting any finish on a Balvenie is like putting make-up on a swan, because I love the Doublewood, but I'm definitely with that view as far as the Islay finish is concerned, and particularly the Portwood finish, which just doesn't work for me.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:10 pm

I am very fond of many Balvenie expressions. Although I like sherry casked and finished malts, I have not cared for most port finished malts. Surprisingly, The Balvenie Port Finish really works for me and is my favorate port finished malt.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:58 pm

Gate:
I plead not guilty to the Balvenie/Swan thing!
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:22 pm

Ian: Re the Balvenie/Swan thing, it was Bruce Crichton - apologies to you both (that'll teach me to check in future!). To strain the metaphor, putting a port finish on Balvenie is more like putting a sack over a swan's head in my view. The only port finish I would actually say I like rather than just find tolerable is the Glenmorangie one. But it'd be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby r0b » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gate:
Ian: Re the Balvenie/Swan thing, it was Bruce Crichton - apologies to you both (that'll teach me to check in future!). To strain the metaphor, putting a port finish on Balvenie is more like putting a sack over a swan's head in my view. The only port finish I would actually say I like rather than just find tolerable is the Glenmorangie one. But it'd be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing Image<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK folks, I must say I just love ALL of the Balvenies in their core range. Call it a love affair. Image

Having said that, it's one of the many marvellous things about malt whisky, if one woman does not appeal to you, it may be the love of my life.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:05 pm

Amen to that. Balvenie is still good with a port finish, even though I prefer it without. In fact, it has to be in my top five - and in there above Macallan. I can hear the howls of outrage already... or does anyone agree?
Gate
Silver Member

Re: What do you think of The Balvenie 17 Islay cask?

Postby petecaps » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:25 pm

any new opinions on this whisky. Just picked up a bottle. May be the only bottle I have ever, or will ever buy to just collect. :oops:

BTW, how may bottles in just 94 casks..... :coffee:
petecaps

Postby ResIpsa539 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 pm

I had this a few months back. Excellent job of maintaining the distillery's flavor profile, while complimenting it with a touch of smoke.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby smn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:02 pm

I've tasted it once and thought it would be a mighty fine dram if it didn't have the weird smoky finish :?
smn

Postby Wave » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

I don't know really, I bought a bottle of this in 2003 and it still sits unopened in my cabinet, but hey it's nice to know that it'n not total tripe and some people actually did like it.
It bodes well in future dramming. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby petecaps » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:09 pm

lawschooldrunk.....none now. I bought all four today :smoke:
petecaps

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder