Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Unpeated Caol Ila

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Unpeated Caol Ila

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:07 pm

Has anybody ever tried the unpeated Caol Ila?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 am

Haven't even heard of it!

Is it a distillery bottling or an independant?

Does it have an age statement?

Does it serve a purpose in life?? :wink:

(An unpeated Caol Ila sounds a bit like an unsherried Macallan! Novelty value, certainly, but you wouldn't think it would be their best work)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:41 am

Caol Ila distills half the year using unpeated malt for blending. I was curious about what an unpeated Caol Ila would taste like (perhaps I only have to look as far as Bunnahabhain?) and was wondering if perhaps one of the many out there has tried it from an IB bottler. I'm not aware of a OB but perhaps something was bottled years and years ago?

As to the unsherried Macallan they produce quite a bit of for the exclusive use of blenders. The SMWS has been offering bourbon casked Macallans for the last 10 years at least.

However The Macallan has just launched a new range of whiskies matured in bourbon barrels called "Fine Oak" in 12, 18 and 25 year olds. (However I've seen a picture on the Malt Maniacs site showing a 10, 15 and 21 but the MM rate the 12, 18 and 25) :?

We shall see what the market thinks of this new avenue the Macallan has chosen to take after having spent the last 20 years running down any whisky that has not been matured in ex sherry barrels.

I stand corrected, there is some sherry in the "Fine Oak" series, here's the article:

The Macallan(R) Reveals the Lighter Side of Scotch Whisky With the Introduction of the Macallan Fine Oak.

An Unprecedented Combination of Sherry & Bourbon Oak Casks Produces an Entirely New Expression of Single Malt Scotch Whisky from the Distillery.
NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 08/11/2004 -- The Macallan Single Malt Scotch Whisky, considered the world's most precious whisky, is taking another step forward in its pursuit of single malt perfection. Breaking with 180 years of tradition, The Macallan adds American bourbon casks into the equation to produce The Macallan Fine Oak range of smooth, delicate single malts.

The secret of The Macallan Fine Oak (10, 15 and 21 Years Old), which debuts in the U.S. this September, lies in its maturation in carefully selected European and American oak casks, which have previously held sherry or bourbon. The result of this unique cask combination is a lighter style of single malt from The Macallan.

Mark A. Izatt, single malt brand manager, Remy Amerique, Inc., exclusive U.S. importer of The Macallan, believes that the Fine Oak range will attract consumers who desire lighter, more accessible single malts. "The Macallan Fine Oak is an exciting addition to The Macallan brand's portfolio," said Izatt. "Stylish and modern, these single malts will appeal to novice Scotch drinkers and connoisseurs alike."

The Macallan introduces The Macallan Fine Oak,
a range of lighter single malt Scotch whiskies,
aged in a combination of American and European
bourbon and sherry oak casks.The most significant product launch in its 180-year history, The Macallan Fine Oak has already received rave reviews from world-renowned whisky experts, including Michael Jackson who said, "Some malt lovers argue that the traditional Macallan is dominated by sherry, but I disagree. In my view, The Macallan is a big malt, with character and complexity to shine through any amount of sherry. Those attributes are clear for all to see when American oak is substituted. The typical Macallan characteristics are evident throughout the Fine Oak range."

All The Macallan Fine Oak has been distilled at The Macallan Distillery in Craigellachie, Speyside, watched over by The Macallan's award-winning whisky maker, Bob Dalgarno, and his team. All Macallan new-make spirit that goes into the combination of casks is made with exactly the same craftsmanship that is the hallmark of the brand, using Golden Promise barley, distilled in exceptionally small stills and taking only the finest cut.

The Macallan Fine Oak will be available in a selection of ages:

-- 10 Years Old: The color of pale straw and featuring a complex aroma of
fruit and heather honey, a balanced flavor of oak and fruit, and a
lingering finish with hints of oak and fruit (40 % Alc./Vol.). Suggested
retail price: $44
-- 15 Years Old: A rich straw color and featuring a full aroma with hints
of rose and cinnamon, a palate of intense rich chocolate with hints of
orange and raisins, and a lingering finish of chocolate and hints of orange
and dried fruit (43% Alc./Vol.). Suggested retail price: $65
-- 21 Years Old: Light amber in color and featuring an intense rich aroma
with hints of vanilla and passion fruit, a soft, rich and spicy flavor with
hints of oranges and peat, and a lingering finish with hints of wood smoke
(43% Alc./Vol.). Suggested retail price: $220

This new range of single malts will be available alongside The Macallan Sherry Oak range, and will feature contemporary, stylish packaging in colors that reflect the light, delicate style of Fine Oak, which is a perfect counterpoint to the rich, dark and complex Sherry Oak range.
Individual bottles from The Macallan Fine Oak, in standard 750 ml size can be purchased from fine wine and spirits shops across the U.S.

About The Macallan®
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:29 am

I've actually tried a few of the bourbon-casked Macallans....two from the SMWS, and one from Mackillop's Choice.

The three of them were quite drinkable, pleasant whiskies, but they weren't spectacular. Like I said above, I don't think it's their best work.

I suspect that if maturing in bourbon wood led to a better quality Macallan, they would have been using it exclusively years ago.

It would be interesting to find out if the unpeated Caol Ila tasted like a Bunnahabhain. If the stills are different sizes and shapes between the two distilleries, then perhaps the resulting malts might be quite different also?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:02 am

Going to a Macallan tasting tomorrow. Supposed to be 3 new products to try. I think Lawrence just told what the new products are gonna be. I was curious but got invited on short notice so not time to research new releases etc. Thanks - LoL

Unpeated Caol Ila I have heard about but never seen a single bottle that displays anything that suggests what's inside is less or non-peated.

I did pick up a rum finished Caol Ila which is sort of asleep to me -lest that is the best I could describe it on a Caol Ila scale. I don't suppose it's bad, it just doesn't have the get up and go I am accustomed to in this marquee.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby BigMac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 am

The unpeated Caol Ila is an 8yo Distilleri Bottling at 59,8%

Looking forward to try it...

regards,

B'mac
BigMac

Postby corbuso » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:23 pm

I don't remember if one of the Caol Ila of the Rare Malts collection was an unpeated one. In any case, on the unpeated Caol Ila bottlings, the information "unpeated" was not indicated.

I haven't tried the mature Caol Ila Highland style, only the new make. The nose was very different and not comparable to a Bunnhabhain, as well as the taste. It has its own style and If I am not wrong, the cut for the Highland style (unpeated) is different from the Islay stlye.

Corbuso

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby BigMac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:39 pm

This 8yo comes in the usual Caol Ila bottle with "Unpeated Style" clearly written on the front label.

apparently different from the older versions then...

regards,

B'mac
BigMac

Postby martin grant » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:43 pm

The 8 year old Caol Ila Unpeated retails for about £34 a bottle. Not to bad a price for a cask strength bottling. I believe somewhere in the region of 13,000 bottles were produced.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 pm

They've got it at lfw. I was tempted briefly. Will wait for one of you guys to take the plunge first I think.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby BigMac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:02 pm

Here's a pic:

/B'mac
BigMac

Postby Bullie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Here is a tasting note for the 8yo Caol Ila Unpeated... I tasted it at Caol Ila distillery early this summer. Then they wasn't sure if they would call it Caol Ila Highland or Caol Ila Unpeated.

Caol Ila Highland 8yo Unpeated Cask Strenght OB 59.9%
Occasion: Visit at Caol Ila
Nose: Fresh and fruity. Malt, butter and fudge
Palate: Medium body. Vanilla fudge, malty. Fruitcake. Oily with water.
Finish: Long finish. Dries your mouth. More malt and ripe fruits.
Score: 83

I also had the opportunity to taste the highland version as new make... It was one of the best newmakes I've ever tasted.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 pm

BigMac wrote:Here's a pic:

/B'mac

Bought one today.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 pm

Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby BigMac » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:30 pm