Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longmorn bottlings

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Longmorn bottlings

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:53 pm

Who here has had bottlings of Longmorn other than the standard 15 year old at 45% vol?

I was treated to a couple in the last three weeks. One was from G+M at 12 years old and was one of the most syrupy-sweet and enjoyable drams I've had for years. The other was a bourbon cask from Dewar Rattray at 55% which I rather enjoyed but I'll have to rummage around for my notes to get more details.

Any other good ones anyone?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:33 am

The best one out there at the moment, IMHO, is the Longmorn for the Cask Strength series Chivas released this spring.

Longmorn and Glenlivet are out with the second batch, while there still are a few bottles left of the first batch from Strathisla and Glen Grant.

Problem is of course that the only places you can buy them are at the Visitor Centers at Chivas bros. distilleries (Aberlour, Glen Grant, Strathisla and Glenlivet).

And at £28-32 for 10-15 year old cask strength whisky (albeit 0.5l bottles) isn't all that bad.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:42 am

Forgot I'd had that one.

The first one wasn't as good as the 15 year old.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

longmorn

Postby richard » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:34 pm

if you can get it a 27 year old longmorn by the coopers choice at 43% about £50.00 top quality longmorn
i cant say i was very impressed with cask strength glenlivet so i passed it around and got the same impression from my friends so hopefully i will get the second issue as see what its like
richard
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:39 am

£50 is a good buy for any whisky that age let alone one as prized by blenders as Longmorn.

Have you any flavours to add, Richard, and how did it compare to the standard Longmorn at 15 years old?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

longmorn

Postby richard » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:10 pm

i just got the last bottle from my suppliers it is at 46% and 27 years old it is a while since i last drank it i dont keep notes bit it was very good smimilar to the 15 yeard old more ferined more richer thats all i cam remeber i will open the only bottle i have on new years eve by the way i got it for £45.00 i think he missed priced it but thats my luck
richard
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder