Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BENROMACH Traditional

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Benromach Traditional

BENROMACH Traditional

Postby Swanny » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:41 am

I´m coming home soon and noticed BENROMACH Traditional in the magazine.
Has anyone tasted it?
I once drank the 12year old expression from a visit to Elgin and wondered why they discontinued it for the older 15yrs. Does the traditional come anywhere near this.
I HAVE READ THE NOTES, BUT WOULD ENJOY OTHERS THOUGHTS.
Swanny

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:36 am

I've seen it advertised coming to our liquor stores in a couple of weeks. I'm hesitant to splash out $55 cdn on a bottle with no age statement however.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 am

If this is the new Benromach since G&McP bought and reopened the distillery, I just tried their 6yo 1998 bottling at a show and while it shows some promise, right now it is just too young. Worth trying at a tasting or buying as a collector's bottle (perhaps) but not great for drinking. Not terrible or anything but needs more time in the barrel IMO.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:51 pm

I tasted it a short while ago with a fresh palate. I found an initial blast of peat (which surprised me) that completly vanished in the finish but was replaced by loads of dry malt.

I really liked it and will be buying a bottle as soon as it becomes available here.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:54 pm

Darn it, now you have me wanting to buy one here! It's available, and just $55 a bottle too.... I'd decided I didn't want one but now... If I buy it and don't like it I guess I know where to send it :P

You guys are no help, no help at all :lol:

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Swanny » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:29 pm

It was hard work but I finally tracked a tasting down whilst in Edinburgh recently. :) Yes I liked it not quick the 12yro I so enjoyed, but just the thing for a Sunday lunch (a big thing in Sao Paulo). Unfortunetly I had already bought too much in the early Christmas sales at Scot-mid and Asda.
But it's on my shopping list from family visiting.
Swanny

Related whiskies : Benromach Traditional

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder