Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help Needed on a Malt Whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Help Needed on a Malt Whisky

Postby exodusone » Wed May 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi I am new on here and this is my very first post.
I have been given 2 bottles of Whisky but i know very little about them.
I have googled them and found nothing.
So here i am.
They are 2 bottles the same it says they are a single malt scotch whisky "from one single cask" its a 14 year old and a "clynelish" personally selected then douglas of drumlanrig.
Thats all i know. i have some pic so will try to add them here.
Any information on the 2 bottles would be great. My dad told me there is only 500 bottles but not sure if he's right.
Thanks in advance for your help.
exodusone

Re: Help Needed on a Malt Whisky

Postby AdamMY » Thu May 31, 2012 12:12 am

I do not know what you plan to do with the whisky, but as I have never been a fan of collecting just to collect, or collecting whisky as an investment, I suggest you drink it, and it looks like it would be quite tasty.

Because it says from 1 single cask, its a single cask whisky, bottled by an Independent bottler, but it was distilled at Clynelish Distillery. As it is non-chillfiltered it would get cloudy if you added ice. I can not see the strength from the photos you took, but if its above 46% its likely Cask Strength, and for a single cask about 500 bottles would be right, though it could have easily been even less than that.

If you are looking to resell, I can not help you as I am unfamiliar with that Bottler, and what their bottles usually sell for. Also it is unclear to me from the photos if the 1990 is the Distillation year or bottling year. If its the Distillation year, its still a somewhat recent bottle, if its the bottling year, it may be worth a bit more to the right person.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Thu May 31, 2012 1:35 am

Douglas Of Drumlanrig is a brand owned by Glasgow based independent bottler Douglas Laing. They are not worth much, probably no more than any IB Clynelish 14 available today. If you need to know more then try contacting them here

http://www.douglaslaing.com/home.php?DOC_INST=29
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu May 31, 2012 1:35 am

Douglas of Drumlanrig is a subsidiary of Douglas Laing & Co Ltd, the well known independent bottler. There is information on the web which may be of some help. http://www.douglaslaing.com/home.php?DOC_INST=29

Apart from the above there is not much to say about this bottling as all the information is on the label, as Adam pointed out the only bit missing is the ABV, it may have been bottled at cask strength but I would doubt that.With regards to its outturn, that all depends on the cask type and whether the whisky was diluted or not before bottling.

As to its value, I would put an estimate of between £70-£80.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby bredman » Thu May 31, 2012 1:38 am

John Barleycorn wrote: as Adam pointed out the only bit missing is the ABV, it may have been bottled at cask strength but I would doubt that.With regards to its outturn, that all depends on the cask type and whether the whisky was diluted or not before bottling.

As to its value, I would put an estimate of between £70-£80.

Cheers John

They were all 45% i reckon. They may have switched to 46% at some point.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu May 31, 2012 1:39 am

I see you beat me to it Pete. :x
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby bredman » Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 am

John Barleycorn wrote:I see you beat me to it Pete. :x

And i disagree with your valuation. £40-60 i reckon. :P :D

I bought one of their Rosebanks recently, iirc i paid about £60 for it.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby exodusone » Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 am

AdamMY wrote:I do not know what you plan to do with the whisky, but as I have never been a fan of collecting just to collect, or collecting whisky as an investment, I suggest you drink it, and it looks like it would be quite tasty.

Because it says from 1 single cask, its a single cask whisky, bottled by an Independent bottler, but it was distilled at Clynelish Distillery. As it is non-chillfiltered it would get cloudy if you added ice. I can not see the strength from the photos you took, but if its above 46% its likely Cask Strength, and for a single cask about 500 bottles would be right, though it could have easily been even less than that.

If you are looking to resell, I can not help you as I am unfamiliar with that Bottler, and what their bottles usually sell for. Also it is unclear to me from the photos if the 1990 is the Distillation year or bottling year. If its the Distillation year, its still a somewhat recent bottle, if its the bottling year, it may be worth a bit more to the right person.

I thinks its 45%
exodusone

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

bredman wrote:And i disagree with your valuation. £40-60 i reckon.

I bow to your greater knowledge. :P :P :D
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder