Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Would you open a rare single malt

General chat and talk about whisky.

Would you open a rare single malt

Postby Peter07 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm very curious to know what others would do. You own a very rare, impossible to find single malt. You know that others would like to own it. What do you do?
Peter07

Re: Would you open a rare single malt

Postby mikeymad » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I have and will..

hard to define "impossible to find single malt".. If it exists - you can probably find it, unless you have the last one..

But every malt in my rack is meant to be opened and drank and shared... do I have rare?... yes very.. Example, a 1906 Highland Park, I have never seen another, other than my bottle.. but it will be opened and shared...

What are the other options? Hold it and sell it? what is the point in that? Then I don't get to drink it. :D

Getting off my high horse.... Open and share :iwbrnt:

Cheers,
Mikey
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 am

Went in with some folks and bought a bottle of Hazelwood 17 and a Signatory Ben Wyvis. Both have been opened and drank.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 am

You're asking about something that's hard to get your hands on, is undoubtedly an excellent spirit, and would sell for a high price? And it somehow fell into my hands?

I would find some worthy friends and open it. You see, I'm into whisky.

Unless it was something that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ol' Jas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 am

Sell it. Buy copious amounts of whisky that is delicious but not price-inflated due to rarity. (Maybe get a little something for the wife too.) The rarity doesn't make it taste any better.

This is my inner economist talking, but the decision is the same as whether you would BUY such a bottle for the same price. In your left hand you have Bottle X. In your right, a small pile of cash. Which do you prefer to walk away with?

If you would buy and drink a very expensive bottle (as clearly some here would), then go for it. Drink that dusty gem that Grandpa left behind. If you wouldn't, then cash out.

It's like when people on Antiques Roadshow find out that some attic dust collector is worth big money. Do they sell it? I don't know, but I always think they should. Unless you would BUY a $4500 early American handmade chair (or whatever), you probably value the cash more than the item. Get the cash.

~~~
That said, if any of my friends stumble upon a delicious rare old bottle, they should clearly open & share!
Ol' Jas

Postby corbuso » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 am

This depends indeed on the bottle.
If if would a very rare bottle of single malt of know poor or medium quality (e.g., Glenlfagler) I would sell it to buy several bottles of whiskies that I like. If it would be an old bottle of Malt Mill or any whisky that I like, I would keep it and open it for the right occasion (i.e., with people who could appreciate that moment).
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Malteriet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:31 pm

I agree with Corbuso. I have a Port Ellen sherry cask that I have tasted 10 years ago at a whisky tasting. This bottle is in no means a dram that I would enjoy, and I'm therefore only keeping it to sell it later on. On the other hand I have - and have had - several other bottles that are either unavailable or increasing rapidly in price. My whisky will be opened and enjoyed unless I go bankrupt and forced to sell it. Of course you don't serve it to everyone or drink it as the last one in a long low, but the thing is that some day someone will open that bottle of yours. Do you need/want the money bad enough and eg buy 4 great bottles of whisky instead or will you be the one to enjoy the taste of history?
Malteriet

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 pm

mikeymad wrote:...every malt in my rack is meant to be opened and drank and shared...

Likewise. :iwbrnt:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder